GSBN: Fwd: Eco-net - www.eco-net.dk/english

[This letter contains worthfull information about an information/sharing/learning and green/awareness Danish international homepage in English. Greetings from Lars Keller]

Dear  friends worldwide

Starting up an Eco-net international database
http://www.eco-net.dk/english

   ? Be part of the Eco-network
Enter your data and informations into the database, and make your
knowledge accessible to others. If you or your organisation has a database,
let us know that as well.

With this letter The Danish Network for Ecological Education and Practice
(Eco-net) wishes to invite everyone working with ecological sustainability,
environmental education and eco-literacy to join us, in a common effort to
leverage the knowledge and communication of ecology and sustainable
lifestyles within our societies.

Lots of people are working with these issues all over the world, and huge
amounts of knowledge and valuable experience are being generated. But to
really leverage  the awareness on ecology, this knowledge must be mediated
and communicated to the broad public.
On a national basis, this is partly what we do.

The maturity of the Internet brings some great advantages for us all, and
we are now launching an international project where we hope to establish an
over-view of the many internet-based knowledge-sources available, and also
to discuss how to best support leveraging the knowledge and communication
of ecology.

This letter contains these headlines:

    ? Eco-net international activities
    ? Leveraging awereness on sustainability
    ? Introduction to the Eco-net databases on the Internet
    ? Be part of the Eco-network

? Eco-net international activities
The international activities of the Danish Network for Ecological Education
and Practice has the chief purpose to establish new network-connections
across frontiers.
As we seem to have become ecological illiterates we think that at the
moment for us and for all other educators the greatest challenge is to
develop an eco-literacy education process which rethinks and defines what
kind of education is appropriate for a species whose standards of success
threaten its ecological foundation. This process calls for dialogue and
exchange of experience between educators and people in general concerned
and engaged in finding sustainable solutions for life on Earth.
In Denmark we have tried to develop a dialogue through "Network for
Ecological Education and Practice" since 1993. We now want to extend the
dialogue and network to an international forum. The obvious tool is the
Internet (http://www.eco-net.dk/english).

There will be different essays for information, inspiration and dialogue
and an English version of the "Kolding Manifesto" - an introduction to a
discussion about technology, democracy and sustainability.

? Leveraging awareness on sustainability
It is no secret that things have not changed much since the Brundtland
Report and the '92 Rio Summit. The way we see it, this is in part due to a
lack of knowledge on how to go about the small and big issues of life in a
sustainable way.
On this basis we defined our primary goal to be the mediation of such
knowledge - by providing educators with inspiration and materials, and by
communicating new concepts and gained experience to practitioners - all in
an effort to leverage public awareness of sustainability.

? Introduction to the Eco-net databases on the Internet
For about a year we have been developing a database-concept, intended for
registering and publishing organisations, literature and events, all
interconnected and linked to related web-based resources. It is our hope
that this initiative will evolve into an easy-to-use source of ecological
information from Europe and the world, thus providing anyone working with
or interested in ecology a head start on any subject.

As stated above, the databases consist of 3 elements: Addresses and links
(organisations, in the broadest sense of the word), Literature and media
(paper- and web-based text, video's etc.) and Eco-Events. These elements
are fully integrated, in that events and literature are always related to
an organisation, and vice versa. The databases are also fully integrated
with the web, in that all elements can have a web-address and an e-mail
address attached.

   ? The 'Addresses and Links' database is a compilation of organisations
and individuals active in ecology and environmental issues. The general
idea of the database is to create a green dissemination, experience and
knowledge network across all groups, levels, project categories, etc. ­ a
comprehensive guide to organisations, companies, projects, more or less
structured networks, and to resourceful individuals.

   ? Our 'Literature and media' database is intended to give an overview of
books, periodicals, papers, etc. The aim is to provide a reliable resource
for teachers/educators, professional environmentalists and all those who
are interested in ecology.

   ? The 'Eco-Calendar-International' is intended to enable easy contact
between operator and participant. If someone has an idea for an event the
calendar can also be used to explore experience gained from previous
events, or perhaps to start a co-operation with another operator.

A central aspect of the databases is the indexation of categories and
keywords. We are using a great many resources on this editorial task since,
if we didn't, users of the databases would have difficulties finding the
relevant data. We hope to broaden the group of editors, and within the next
year we will invite interested parties to a seminar re this.

Besides the mentioned databases that we consider the main-resources, we
will also host the following:

   ? The eco-net e-mail list (in english), enabling exchange of knowledge
and debate on essential issues. In accordance with a searchable archive of
e-mails, we believe this to become yet another valuable resource.

   ? On the international web-site you will also find an introduction to
the Danish Eco-net / Network for Ecological Education and Practice and its
work on Ecology, Education and Enlightenment of the People.

? Be part of the Eco-network
Enter your data and informations into the database, and make your knowledge
accessible to others. If you or your organisation has a database, let us
know that as well.

To our minds the potentials are far-reaching, but we will all have to do an
effort.

Best regards
Lars Myrthu-Nielsen
Director of Eco-net Secretariat
 Network for Ecological Education and Practice / Eco-net
 Svendborgvej 9 - Postboks 2
 DK-5762 Vester Skerninge
	Denmark

	Tlf.: +45 62 24 43 24