Date: 21 Jun 2000 11:39:46 +0100
From: the black range blackrange@...
Subject: Re: The request of standards for straw-bale houses

At 12:10 PM 6/20/00 +0300, you wrote:

Dear sirs,

The Czech company WINDROSE s.r.o. by the financial support of Parliament
of the Czech republic is going in the near future to begin to
construction of low-cost ecological dwelling<bold> </bold>complexes with
use of straw-bale technologies.

Now in Europe there are no standards and techniques of certification for
straw-bale constructions and their elements, therefore at the request of
the representative of parliament of Czechia - madam Zuzana Rojtova we
address to you for the detailed information on problems of certification
straw-bale constructions.

</fontfamily><bigger>

</bigger>We are interested in the list of the standards, acting in USA,
and techniques on certification straw-bale constructions, their number,
and also samples of the certificates on straw-bale dwelling complexes.

Thank you for your trouble. Your prompt reply will be sincerely
appreciated.

With best regards

  Director

  Poleacov M.

</smaller></fontfamily>

WINDROSE s.r.o.

      17.Listopadu, 169091 BYeclav

Czech republic

</paraindent>

e-mail:

</color></underline>

</color></underline>

tel.mob. 420607831082

</excerpt>

<<<<<<<<

Hello Nika,

We are happy to hear that there is interest in strawbale building in
Czech Republic.  I have the US standards in print form, and I believe
they are also available free on the internet.  There are also a number of
straw-bale tests that have been completed in the US, concerning fire,
wind and compression, also moisture testing completed in Canada.  These,
and book and video resources are available via our website:
http://www.strawbalecentral.com

Also, there is an active European network of straw-bale builders who I
would like to put you in touch with.  They could provide consultation on
designs and workshop leaders for construction of the bale walls.  Also
there is an on-going straw-bale testing program in Austria as well as one
beginning in Denmark, so there may soon be regional testing data for your
use.

In Austria contact:

Marcus Piringer <markus.piringer@...  I will also forward to
you a recent excellent report he has completed about straw-bale building.
 It's in English, but there should also be a report in German available

In Denmark, Contact:  Lars Keller << Lars_Keller@hotmail.com>

In The Netherlands contact:  Martin Oehlmann
<martin.oehlmann@...  and Harald Wedig <avantgarden@...
(Harald is away until July 15)

There is also an upcoming European Straw-bale Conference in England in
October.  contact: Martin Oehlmann for details.

For good internet resources visit:

http://www.strawhomes.com  (The Last Straw Journal - the International
Journal of Straw Bale and Natural Building)

http://azstarnet.com/~dcat (Development Center for Appropriate Technology
- - Code and Institutional issues)  and
http://www.builderswithoutborders.com  (Builders without Borders -- free
visual SB design and how-to primer)

We expect you will be able to meet your information and human resource
needs, and wish you success in your straw-bale projects!

Best Regards,

Catherine Wanek, Managing Editor

The Last Straw

The Grassroots Journal of Straw Bale & Natural Building

HC66, Box 119

Hillsboro, NM  88042

(505) 895-5400 /fax (505) 895-3326

<thelaststraw@...