Undeliverable: GSBN:Jan/Feb 2000 Building Standards articles up o n ICBO Website

Your message

  To:      strawbale@crest.org; greenbuilding@crest.org;
GSBN@...
  Subject: GSBN:Jan/Feb 2000 Building Standards articles up on ICBO Website
  Sent:    Mon, 3 Jul 2000 21:55:51 +1200

Kundyckip@...,  3 Jul 2000 21:58:59 +1200
    The recipient name is not recognized
	The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=NZ;a= ;p=Wellington City
;l=HADRIANUS0007030958NFBTS6TS
    MSEXCH:IMS:Wellington City Council:WCC:HADRIANUS 0 (000C05A6) Unknown
Recipient

From: Strawnet@...
To: strawbale@...,  greenbuilding@...,
	GSBN@...
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 21:55:51 +1200

Hi all,

I just thought folks might be interested to know that the
January/February 2000 Issue of Building Standards Magazine is now up on
the ICBO website. It contains the second feature on alternative building
materials that we at DCAT helped pull together for ICBO. As we understand
it, this issue, like the previous alternative materials feature issue
from September/October 1998 is sold out - the only issues, we've been
told, that have ever achieved that status.

In the Jan/Feb issue there is an eight page interview with Bob Fowler and
me on sustainable building, alternative materials, and building
regulation. There are also articles about earthships, bamboo, cob, cast
earth, and earthbag construction. Also on the same site is the original
Sept/Oct 1998 feature, which had an overview article by me and articles
by proponents with accompanying sidebar articles by building officials on
adobe, rammed earth, straw bale, sandbag construction and pozzolanic
cements.

I have listed below, the relevant articles, which are all downloadable
from the site. The URL is for Building Standards Online and it is for the
Features and Articles section:

http://www.icbo.org/Building_Standards_Online/index.cgi?action=Features_and
_Articles

(January - February 2000)

An Alternative Future for Building Regulation (Fowler/Eisenberg Interview)
Earthship Building: An Ecocentric Method of Construction (Jack Ehrhardt)
Building With Bamboo (Darrel DeBoer)
Cob Construction (Michael Smith)
Cob and the Building Code (John Fordice)
Cast Earth: A Revolutionary Building Concept (Michael Frerking)
Lunar and Terrestrial Sustainable Building Technology in the New
Millennium (Nader Khalili)

Building Standards Online
Features and Articles

(September - October 1998)
Toward Less Waste and Pollution by Design (Dennis Weaver)
Building a Sustainable Future (David Eisenberg)
Rammed Earth: Developing New Guidelines for an Old Material (Joe Tibbets)
Rammed Earth: A Code Official Perspective (Tommy Garcia)
Adobe: A Present from the Past (Paul McHenry)
Adobe: A Code Official's Perspective (Raymond Quintana)
Straw-bale Construction (Bruce King)
Straw-bale Construction: A Building Official's Perspective (Leroy Sayre)
Earth Architecture and Ceramics: The Sandbag/Superadobe/Superblock
Construction System (Nader Khalili & Phil Vittore)
Sandbag/Superadobe/Superblock: A Code Official Perspective (Tom Harp)
Pozzolans Unpuzzled: Mineral Admixtures, Fly Ash and Other Waste Products
Add Strength and Durability to Concrete (Bruce King)

Happy hunting...

David

David Eisenberg - Director
P.O. Box 27513 - Tucson, Arizona 85726-7513 USA
(520) 624-6628, (520) 798-3701 Fax
strawnet@...(direct personal e-mail)
dcat@...
http://www.azstarnet.com/~dcat/
http://www.azstarnet.com/~dcat/barriers.htm
http://www.azstarnet.com/~dcat/BSM.html

"... A genuinely fundamental and hopeful improvement in
`systems' cannot happen without a significant shift in
human consciousness, and ...it cannot be accomplished
through a simple organizational trick. This is something no
revolutionary or reformer can bring about; it can be only
the natural expression of a more general state of mind, the
state of mind in which man can see beyond the tip of his
own nose and prove capable of taking on--under the aspect
of eternity--responsibility even for the things that don't
immediately concern him, and relinquish something of his
private interest in favor of the interest of the community,
the general interest. Without such a mentality, even the
most carefully considered project aimed at altering systems
are for naught." -- Vaclav Havel