GSBN:Historic Recognition & Presevation for Nebraska's Bale Buildings

<x-flowed iso-8859-1>>From Joyce Coppinger.  Apologies for any duplicates.
---

Hello all,

For the past month or two, I have been exchanging e-mail messages with
Nebraska State Historical Society's Preservation Office trying to
establish some support for and assistance in securing funding to
preserve and protect the eight existing bale buildings in Nebraska -
provided the current owners are willing.  At the present time, funding
for properties in private or nonprofit uses is not available through
NSHS; however, a federal tax
credit is available if the property is put to income-producing use, such
as use as part of a working farm or ranch operation.  The Burke House
near Alliance, the Scott house near Gordon, the Sturtz house near
Stapleton and the two building on Fawn Lake Ranch near Hyannis would
meet this requirement, and future owners of the bale building in Emerald
might be agreeable to this type of assistance.  I have not spoken with
any of these owners, but would be glad to approach them.

I am contacting you to ask your advice and comments about sources of
funding, circulating the petition (see proposed petition below - and
feel free to critique or edit it), and your feelings about preserving
these buildings.

D R A F T  - PETITION

TO:  The Nebraska State Historical Society, 1500 R Street, Lincoln NE
68508

FROM: The Participants of the 2nd Nebraska Straw Bale Conference Held at
Nebraska State 4-H Camp, Halsey, Nebraska, September 29-30, October 1,
2000

RE:  Recognition for and Preservation of Nebraska?s Historic and
Internationally Recognized Bale Buildings

We, the undersigned, respectfully request that the Nebraska State
Historical Society formally recognize the signifance of the
contributions made by pioneers in Nebraska?s Sandhills and other parts
of Nebraska in developing bale building techniques and methods.

The building methods and techniques used by Sandhills pioneers from the
late 1880s through the 1940s in Gordon, Alliance, Hyannis, Arthur and an
estimated 75 to 80 other places in western Nebraska, and other Nebraska
builders including those at Gothenburg (Harry Hiles and his round
airplane hangars built of bales, steel and concrete) and the restaurant
built in Emerald in the late 1940s have been researched and studied,
photographed and publicized, and are known worldwide as some of the best
examples of bale building in the world.

Through the efforts of many modern-day pioneers residing in Nebraska and
throughout the world, spearheaded by the participants of the 1st
Nebraska Straw Bale Conference held in Arthur, Nebraska, September 1993,

this building method is known as Nebraska-style (loadbearing) bale walls
and has been modified for use in post-and-beam structures as well.

We endorse the efforts of The Straw Bale Association of Nebraska in
reviving this building material and method throughout the state and
beyond.  We encourage and request that the Nebraska State Historical
Society support these efforts and assist individuals and members of the
Association in preserving and protecting the historic bale buildings
still in existence in the state of Nebraska.

---
This same message has been sent to local contacts, members of the
Lincoln Green Building Group, GSBN, and some of the SBAN members to elicit
their comments and assistance, too.

--
Joyce Coppinger
Re:Build Associates and