GSBN:SPECIAL MAILING: NATURAL BUILDING WORKSHOPS-SE ARIZONA & NO. NEW MEXICO

<x-flowed iso-8859-1>>From Joelee Joyce, dawnaz@...

SPECIAL MAILING:  In order to respond to the volume of inquiries we get
to find workshops on natural building, here are some
of the best opportunities in this area to learn natural building this
fall and next spring. The following listing includes some
workshops out of our production schedule as well as those of other
partners & friends in the area & region. We have included
their email addresses and links to their websites wherever possible so
that you can go there directly to register or get more
information.  For those of you who do not have web access we have
included a text version below.  For those of you who can
access the web, please excuse any duplication.

EARTHEN PLASTERS IN BEAUTIFUL, COOL TAOS, NM!

Spaces still available if you hurry! THE ART OF MUD!  with Carole Crews,
Sep. 9-13, 2000 ; $250 includes meals.  [Limited to 12 participants]
All forms of earthen plaster from base coat to clay slips.  High
mountain desert in beautiful location at the Dome in Tres Orejas, 20
miles w. of Taos, bordering national forest. Camping spots available. To
Register Call 505  758 7251 or email: seacrews@...[see some of
her art on http://www.ArtAmerica.com/a5s/cre-ann.html ]
--

THE CANELO PROJECT OFFERINGS:  To Register, write, call, or email: HC1
Box 324,  Elgin, AZ 85611  phone: (520)455-5548,  E-mail:

Comprehensive Straw Bale Workshop Cost $585, September 10-16, 2000 (7pm
Sat.- 3pm Sat.) ALSO: April 22-28, 2001  Building a comfortable,
beautiful, efficient and personal home is the focus of this course.
During this week-long workshop we explore how to combine natural
materials, techniques and design strategies to create a simple and
low-cost home that is responsive to one's local climate and context. We
encourage an approach to building that values human resourcefulness and
creativity. A small structure will be built during the course.
Information & instruction will be included on: Bale Wall Systems,
Moisture Issues, Pinning Options, Sculpted Openings, Natural Wall
Finishes, Cob & Light/Clay Straw, Roofs & Foundations, Small-Efficient
Design, Straw Bale Home Tour

PLASTERING, PAINTING AND SCULPTING WITH CLAY, Cost $250, Oct. 7-8-9,
2000
     The plasters we have come to prefer are those that  utilize a much
higher percentage of clay and straw than conventional earthen
     plasters that rely on lots of sand.  The course covers everything
from crack-free base coats that can be applied up to 2 inches
     thick in one application as well as fine finish coats that can be
polished to a mirror like sheen.  Stabilizers and additives (lime,
     casein, oils, starches) to improve water resistance and surface
hardness of clay plasters are also covered.  In addition to paints
     and plasters, we also spend time on how to sculpt decorative
reliefs and carve multi-layer designs in the plaster.  The techniques
     that we use have evolved as a result of our years working in Mexico
and the relationships we have formed with plaster
     craftsmen from Japan, Germany and England.

Earthen Floors Cost $185, Oct 28,29- 2000
Earthen floors can be the answer to those looking for a soft and
comfortable floor surface. They can be built as part of new construction
or
even installed over existing concrete floors. Done well, earthen floors
can be durable, easily maintained and can be finished as simply or as
highly polished as one likes. We will teach you how to mix, install and
seal various types of earthen floors to match your specific needs,
climate
and aesthetic

Natural Paints & Washes Cost $185, Nov. 11,12- 2000
Learn to make and apply your own lime, casein or starch based paints and
washes using natural clay and mineral pigments with mica and straw
for color and texture. These finishes are a fun, easy and inexpensive
way to dramatically enhance the walls of either your new or existing
home.

Building with Straw in Mexico Cost $450, Jan. 7-13, 2001, Cuidad
Obregon, Sonora, Mexico
Join us to learn a building system that we have co-developed as a
response to providing housing for families in need. We focus on the
construction of simple, small and very inexpensive one-room homes built
with local and recycled materials. This workshop is a great opportunity
to work together with Mexican people and be a part of their culture in a
very different way than as a "tourist". It is an experience of
building connections as well as decent homes. There is an optional work
week available after the workshop at no additional cost. Full travel
information is available to interested persons.

General Information  These workshops are designed as opportunities for
learning, sharing and meeting others in a comfortable and relaxed, yet
spirited atmosphere. Each workshop integrates hands-on work/play,
discussions and demonstrations,  a good library of alternative building
books as well as assorted videos available to workshop participants. On
site there are several buildings that allow you to see, touch and
experience many of the materials and techniques that are taught.
Students leave inspired - empowered with new possibilities and skills.
Unless
otherwise specified, all workshops are at our home in Canelo, Arizona.
Lunches are included in all workshop prices. There are camping and
limited accommodations available on the property for an extra charge.
There is a 10% discount for multiple courses and a 20% discount for
family members. CONTACT THE CANELO PROJECT.

----------DAWN/OUT ON BALE BY MAIL OFFERING----------------
NOVEMBER  18-19, STRAW-BALE CONSTRUCTION WORKSHOP WEEKEND (with Out On
Bale (un) Ltd., Judy Knox & Matts Myhrman)
This weekend workshop will feature an introductory slide show, how-to
slides, demonstrations, discussions and hands-on building (a small
structure will be built at the DAWN/Out On Bale By Mail site southwest
of Tucson). Each participant will leave with a ?tool kit? filled
with the best and latest information, resources, support network,
problem-solving skills, so that each can make appropriate, responsible
and
doable choices about how to use straw-bale construction in their
lives..The fee for this workshop (1 Evening & 2 Days) is $275 - some
meals
included.. TO REGISTER see form below.

Return form below by mail or email (please make payable to DAWN / Out On
Bale By Mail) or call with the information  requested on the form
and leave a message.

Please register  by November 1 to secure a place in the workshop. CALL
520 624 1673 TO REGISTER or fill out the form below and return by
email or snail mail to the address at the bottom of this sheet.  Payment
by Visa, Mastercard or American Express accepted for email orders or
phone registration, & also check or money order by mail (payable to DAWN
/ Out On Bale By Mail). Hope to see you there!

See reverse side & check our web site (calendar) for future events &
workshops!

Return form below by mail or email (please make payable to DAWN / Out On
Bale By Mail):

YOU MAY COPY THIS FORM AND USE IT TO REGISTER FOR OTHER WORKSHOPS; BE
SURE TO INDICATE WHICH ONE YOU WANT
TO ATTEND ON THE FORM ITSELF.   THANK YOU FOR RECYCLING & SAVING TREES!
Registration for NOVEMBER 17-19, 2000 STRAW-BALE CONSTRUCTION WEEKEND

Name(s)________________________________________________

# in Party______Amount Paid $______

 Check__MO___Credit Card____

Address:_______________________________________________
(Street Address, Apt. or Suite #)

(City, State, Zip Code & Country)
Card number:__________________________________________

Expiration date: ________________________________________

Telephone & email:______________________________________
 (Required for credit card orders.)
Name on card:

WE?VE EXPANDED OUT ON BALE BY MAIL!
We now produce workshops on sustainable living & building,
permaculture,  natural building construction (including straw bale
construction),

natural plasters & floors, land restoration, water harvesting and many
other aspects of sustainable living. It is our goal to offer as many
workshops and work experiences in this area as possible.  We will be
happy to put you on the list and keep you updated.  We also provide
resource materials (books, videos & printed materials) on the subjects
taught in the workshops.

    GENERAL INFORMATION:
We are pleased to be able to partner with several organizations to
provide work-shops and opportunities to learn more about living
sustainably

from some of the most outstanding practitioners and teachers.
REGISTRATION CALL 520 624 1673
or fill out the form enclosed and return by mail with a check or money
order.  Payment also accepted by phone, fax or email with Visa,
Mastercard or American Express (payable to DAWN / Out On Bale By Mail).
Fees vary due to length of workshop, materials and information
being introduced & style and expertise of the instructor(s).

  SPECIAL RATES.
WORK EXCHANGE POSITIONS, student discounts and group rates available for
most events.
If you would like to receive email updates, please send us your email
address.  If you would like a printed version of our updates &
announcements, please send $3.00 (to cover cost for mailing to one
address per year).

For fees, location, updates & changes, please call or email.  If you
cannot attend a workshop but are interested in work projects to get some

experience, please call or email for information on projects not listed
and for those that are ongoing.  Also please do check web site for more
details, other workshops, updates & changes.  Let us know about
workshops that would interest you ?sometimes that results in a new
workshop if enough people are interested!

AS ALWAYS IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS MAILING LIST, JUST
SEND AN EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS BELOW.
OTHERWISE THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST AND CONTINUED SUPPORT.

DAWN / Out On Bale By Mail
6570 W. Illinois, Tucson, AZ 85735
Tel: 520 624 1673   FAX: 520 882 8676
e-mail: dawnaz@...
web site http://SustainableSources.com/dawn
THANK YOU FOR BUILDING A MORE SUSTAINABLE WORLD!

----
end forwarded message
billc@...

Green Homes For Sale/Lease:  http://SustainableSources.com/realestate/