Re: GSBN:PhD. entomologist pursuing info re: termites v. straw(bale)

Although I can't answer questions about Austin Texas termites, I want to watch this discussion unfold.

Termites are not a problem here in the Pacific Northwest .  We say that dry rot gets our wood before the termites. It seems to also hold true for
our straw bale buildings. Now on a straw bale project in Saudi Arabia I have to design for termites without using heavy insecticides, just using
the old fashion termite shield between the foundation and straw bales.

A Saudi investigation report on an old adobe structure north of Riyadh (central Saudi Arabia) alerted me to the presence of termites in the area.
Their investigation found the straw used in the adobe completely eaten by these critters. And, I thought it would be fun to be able to use earthen
plasters, instead of cement stucco, on the straw bale walls for a change.

I'll look forward to seeing what information comes from your question.

Chris

Christopher Stafford Architects, Inc.
1044 Water Street, #326
Pt. Townsend, WA 98368