RE: GSBN:Siloxane

Hello!
Sioloxane is a silicone based product but is not the same as a silicone
coating.  Silicone coatings act to make a waterproofing coating which is
therefore more prone to solar degradation and failure at joints.  Siloxanes
work by being absorbed into the pore structure of the cement/lime and making
them water repellent.  My testing did show that it was the best product for
resisting water absorption -- better even than the thick acrylic surface
coatings) and was the most vapour permeable product tested  Basically it had
no real effect on letting vapour out and stopped almost all water in.
At this time, siloxane based water repellents appear to be the only products
that actually have the happy mixture or stopping water in while allowing
free water evaporation.

Did that help Catherine?

John Straube
Civil Engineering Dept and School of Architecture
University of Waterloo