RE: GSBN:Siloxane, Oligomeric Polysiloxanes, Silanes and You

Sorry for not replying sooner Rob.
I agree geometry is always better than chemistry.  But there are situations
where the compromise of relying on chemistry is acceptable IMO.  Hence we
had better get to know what our optins are.

a) is it safe to drink?  Probably safer than drinking lime, cement, or even
significant dosages of earth plaster.  Is it harmful to health?  The
silioxane itself is quite inert, and is simply a precursor to silicone.  The
solvents may be harmful -- some are mineral solvents like alcohol and
petroleum distillates while others are mostly water borne.  You can choose
your poison
b) I tested a 5%wt solution of polymeric siloxane from Sika, the normal
concentration recommended for walls. Most manuf supply  5 and 10% versions,
the latter for bridge decks. I would suggest that 5% is the minimum quantity
we should presently consider.
c) I don't know enough to recommend brand names, but the product is fairly
similar across manuf - so long as 5%wt sloxane.  Xypex is NOT a siloxane, it
is apore-blocking crystal former, not vapour permeable.
d) Siloxanes are considered the best in highly alkaline environments like
fresh plaster and is the reason they were tested. Silanes have a slightly
smaller molecule and greater penetrating power but are higly volatile and
often evaporate away before fixing and stuccos tend to be rather porous
anyway 9unlike dense concrete, which may require the use of silanes over
siloxanes). BTW oligomeric polysiloxanes are simply a class of siloxanes,
the other being polymeric siloxanes. The latter is more common and has more
predictable and higher performance.  Some of the o-siloxanes are pretty bad
(e.g., those with only one or two functional alkyl groups for the chemists
on the list).
e) I don't think I can actually answer all the questions, but I can frame
the answer within narrower bounds.  Ransom is not my style, I prefer violent
crimes.

John Straube
Civil Engineering Dept and School of Architecture
University of Waterloo