Re: GSBN:highly comressed bales

G 'Day Frank and Ingrid

Frank & Ingrid wrote:

> my news from downunder is that I finally got a highly compressed bale made.
> It measures 550M long, 400M high, 450M wide and weighs about 30 kilograms. I
> am interested to find out if anyone has had experience with such or similar
> bales. Maybe it would be worthwhile to conduct tests with this bale,

Some time ago we had a look at these bales which are manufactured in several places now in Australia primarily for export fodder to Korea, Japan
Hong Kong etc. for the horse racing and dairy industry.  The producers of these bales near Tocumwal made several double dumped bales for us and we
did try them.  I found them to be awkward to use as they were so dense that they did not sit well in a running bond and after three courses high
became very unstable indeed.  Other concerns were:

High density bales may not be as good from insulation properties as there are few if any air pockets amongst the straw.

We would require twice the amount of straw to build the same wall out of standard two string bales.  The benefit here is the extra carbon sequested
in the form of a straw bale house.

My main concern was build ability and we now have a supplier of straw bales in Golden Ganmain who produces top quality "building bales" in a
standard size.

We are also looking to build a house for one of our clients using jumbo bales near Campbelltown (a suburb of Sydney) towards the end of the year.  I
like the jumbo bales very much and the winery in Geelong is working extremely well with the 8'x3'x3' bales, the only problem being the cement
render.

Been away back for a few days and I will try to catch up with all of you soon.  We expect Tom Rajven in Golden Ganmain on Friday, all of you on this
list know Tom dip zee bales Rajven, looking forward to meeting Tom again and working with him on developing the Golden Ganmain earth/chaff renders.

All the best The Straw Wolf
http://strawbale.archinet.com.au
61 2 6927 6027