From: Huff 'n' Puff Constructions huffnpuff@...
To: Frank & Ingrid strawbales@...
Cc: global straw building gsbn@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: GSBN:highly comressed bales

> G 'Day Frank and Ingrid
>
> Frank & Ingrid wrote:
>
> > my news from downunder is that I finally got a highly compressed bale
made.
> > It measures 550M long, 400M high, 450M wide and weighs about 30
kilograms. I
> > am interested to find out if anyone has had experience with such or
similar
> > bales. Maybe it would be worthwhile to conduct tests with this bale,
>
> Some time ago we had a look at these bales which are manufactured in
several places now in Australia primarily for export fodder to Korea, Japan
> Hong Kong etc. for the horse racing and dairy industry.  The producers of
these bales near Tocumwal made several double dumped bales for us and we
> did try them.  I found them to be awkward to use as they were so dense
that they did not sit well in a running bond and after three courses high
> became very unstable indeed.  Other concerns were:
>
> High density bales may not be as good from insulation properties as there
are few if any air pockets amongst the straw.

> We would require twice the amount of straw to build the same wall out of
standard two string bales.  The benefit here is the extra carbon sequested
> in the form of a straw bale house.
>
> My main concern was build ability and we now have a supplier of straw
bales in Golden Ganmain who produces top quality "building bales" in a
> standard size.
>
> We are also looking to build a house for one of our clients using jumbo
bales near Campbelltown (a suburb of Sydney) towards the end of the year.  I
> like the jumbo bales very much and the winery in Geelong is working
extremely well with the 8'x3'x3' bales, the only problem being the cement
> render.
>
> Been away back for a few days and I will try to catch up with all of you
soon.  We expect Tom Rajven in Golden Ganmain on Friday, all of you on this
> list know Tom dip zee bales Rajven, looking forward to meeting Tom again
and working with him on developing the Golden Ganmain earth/chaff renders.