GSBN:Seismic performance of sb

Seismic performance - just a quick note

The earthquake engineering group at the University of California San Diego is testing concrete walls with free reinforcing (tension rods inside sleeves rather than in concrete). This acts like a tendon to return the walls to vertical after swaying and looks very good in early tests.

Interesting as it may act like reinforcing in a sb wall in some of our earlier systems with threaded rod or ties running through the bale instead of through the plaster or stucco. For external reinforcing we may get the same effect if the ties are placed under a plastic or wood cover so they are decoupled from the plaster.

So much to learn....

Cheers

DB
--
David Bainbridge
Environmental Studies Coordinator

Fax (858) 635-4730
Ph (858) 635-4616

International Design Magazine Top 40, 2001.

http://www.usiu.edu/academic/es.htm
http://faculty.usiu.edu/bainbridge/
http://www.ecocomposite.org/
http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/SERG/index.html
http://www.sustainableenergy.org/technologies/solar_passive.htm

"The saddest thing about any man is that he be ignorant, and the most exciting thing is that he knows." Alfred the Great, 9th Century