GSBN:Subject: Help to build the first Ukrainian straw bale house!

Hi all.

I see that a few of us got this message and I just wanted to share it
with GSBN.  -  I have not yet responded directly to this message.

David

>Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:11:13 +0300 (EEST)
>From: "Bohdan Popov" dancho@...
>To: achp@...,  john.daglish@...,  blackrange@...,
>         crbt@...,  erichart@...,  DCAT@...,
>ecabc@...,
>         mcormier@...,  eos@...,  greenfire@...,
>         outonbale@...,  biwb@...,  sssalive@...,
>         habibg@...
>Subject: Help to build the first Ukrainian straw bale house!
>
>Dear Friends!
>
>My name is Bogdan Popov. I represent a Ukrainian project called Equites. .
>Equites is a network of humanitarian projects united by a common goal -
>search for the ways of harmonious co-existence of the mankind and the
>nature. One of the Equites projects, particularly, is dedicated to
>the creation of a special demonstration center in Ukraine, which
>would serve a true-to-life
>example of meeting the basic human needs (habitation, food and energy)
>without harming the environment. The project also suggests holding the
>workshops on the matter, issuing the special literature and providing the
>informational and technical assistance to those willing to use the
>environmental-friendly methods in practice.
>
>The Equites project meets the challenge of bringing the mentioned
>issues for consideration of the wide audience by means of the latest
>interactive mass media technologies, like live TV programs and on-line
>Internet broadcasting.
>
>This summer we plan to hold an action at the Open Air Museum of Folk
>Architecture in Kiev called "A straw bale house in one day".  We
>want to show the possibility of building a house very quickly using
>straw-bales as in-fill materials for the walls. This will be the
>first straw-bale structure in Ukraine and it would serve as a basis
>for further development of demonstration site in the Open Air Museum
>where we plan to present different alternative building methods
>(including passive solar design) together with other examples of
>appropriate technology and gardening. Museum of folk architecture is
>a great place for this  since it is annually attended by thousands
>of people.
>
>Of course, we will not build a real house. This is going to be a structure 5
>meters wide and 7 metros long left unplastered (or plastered later) for
>demonstration reasons. Simple gable roof. No attic and floor. Four
>windows and one door. Something which looks like a house (or at
>least causes this impression).  The interior will be later used as
>an exhibition space. We will put there stands with the information
>on straw-bale technology and associated items.
>

>What we need now is finding the right technology for this action which will
>allow to assemble the house in one day. In our case we are making a show
>for TV and this is very essential.
>

>In the "Straw Bale House" book I found the information about George
>Swanson's  "Whole House Truss System".  It seems to me the quickest
> [...]

David Eisenberg
Director
P.O. Box 27513
Tucson, Arizona 85726-7513 USA
(520) 624-6628
(520) 798-3701 Fax
David@...
strawnet@...(direct personal e-mail)
www.dcat.net

The future is not out there in front of us, but inside us. - Joanna Macy