Re: GSBN:International Straw Bale Building Registry

<x-charset iso-8859-1>

----- Original Message -----
From: billc_lists@...
To: GSBN@...
Cc: jeanine@...
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 12:26 PM
Subject: GSBN:International Straw Bale Building Registry

>            International Straw Bale Registry
>
> Owner                     John and Katherine Gregor
> Address                  PO Box 840
> city state zip            Rough and Ready, CA 95975-0840
> country                     USA
>
> phone                       530-432-8630
> email                         grelore@...
> website
>
> Builder's name          owner/builder
> builder's address
> builder's phone
> builder's email
> builder's website
>
> list of subcontractors if available_____
>
> __We are open to drop-in visitors
> _X_We are open to visitors by appointment
> __ We are NOT open to visitors, please use our listing only for total
> numbers. (location and contact info will be suppressed)
>
> Type of structure:
>       ___home
>       ___addition to non-strawbale home
>       ___commercial
>       _X__other (describe if other_
We  currently have about 70% completed of our workshop/studio/barn.  It will
be finished this summer [2001] .  We plan to live in it while we build our
home [we have a permit for both]______)

> Size (sq feet or sq meters)__1100 sq_'___
>
> If a home,
> number of bedrooms_____
> number of baths____
>
> Month/Year begun_6/00__   Month/Year completed (or occupied)___
>
> Load bearing? __yes  __X_no  __ hybrid
>
> exterior finish:
>       ___cement plaster
>       _X__ earth, clay and/or lime plaster
>       ___ wood siding
>       ___other (describe if other____)
>
> Interior finish:
>       ___cement plaster
>       __X_ earth, clay or lime plaster
>       ___gypsum plaster
>       ___ wood
>       ___sheetrock
>       ___other (describe if other____)
>
> Were the bales pinned?
>       __internal pinning, rebar
>       __internal pinning, wood/bamboo
>       _X_external pinning, wood/bamboo
>       __ no pinning
>       __ don't know
>
> Type(s)  of straw used
>       wheat
>       oat
>       barley
>    X   rice
>       other (describe if other_____)
>       unknown
>
> Insured?  (hopefully, when completed)  >
> Mortgaged?  no  >
 Describe unique features:
 We have been using  many reclaimed, salvaged and surplus materials.  This
is the first straw bale building, or any building, that we have built as
owner/builders.  It is amazing to our friends and family that two retired
folks can create such a solid, beautiful structure.  We are the example of
"if we can do it, anyone can!"