Kelly's Message:

From:adraprc@...(Kelly Lerner)
To:GSBN@...,  huffnpuff@...,  strawnet@...

Hi all (David, could you please post this to the GSBN list - I don't
think I can post from this address in China).

While I don't want to ignore the importance of sequestering CO2, it still
seems to me that the most important impact of straw-bale construction is
it's energy efficiency over time. In China we mitigate as much CO2
emissions in the first winter as we do with sequestering. (see below).
Since we have excellent computer modeling for energy use in buildings, it
should be an easy task to estimate the amount of CO2 mitigated by an
energy efficient SB. And of course, the better the design, the more CO2
mitigated.

If you want to delve deeper into the issues of greenhouse gas emission
reductions an excellent resource would be Sean Clark at Trexler and
Associates, http://www.climateservices.com/.

I've posted this example from China before, but here it is again:

While carbon sequestering is a clear benefit of straw-bale construction
it pales in comparison to the potential benefits of reduced carbon
dioxide emissions (due to energy efficiency) over the life of the
building. Of course, these benefits only accrue in a climate that
requires heating or cooling. In coal burning areas like Mongolia and
China, the benefits accrue even more quickly.

Carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, has been clearly linked to global
warming. The Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) was envisioned during the
1997 Kyoto Summit as a way for "developed" nations to assist "developing"
nations develop "clean" technologies. Burning one ton of coal emits about
1.3 tons of carbon dioxide. If straw-bale construction coupled with
passive solar design gives a 70% energy savings, a village of 200 houses
could emit 700 less tons of carbon dioxide per year. Just some quick math
and simplistic explanations from the ADRA project in China:

We're building new straw-bale houses which would have been new brick
houses. In Heilongjiang, the new brick houses burn 5 tonnes of
coal/winter. Let's say our straw-bale insulated, day-lit, passive solar
models will be 75% more efficient - only use 1.25 tonnes of coal/winter
(basically, families will be heating with just the fuel they currently
use for cooking). That's a savings of 3.75 tonnes of coal/winter. Each
tonne of coal gives off 1.3 tonnes of CO2. The CO2 market dictates the
effective lifetime of the house is 30 years (even though we know it will
last much longer). The total impact: 3.75 tonnes of coal/winter X 1.3
tonnes of CO2/tonne of coal X 30 years = 146.25 tonnes of reduced CO2
emissions over 30 years for each house. Of course this equation doesn't
take into consideration improved air quality, higher comfort, better
winter health, reduced clay mining and brick manufacture, increased
seismic safety, etc. etc. etc.

Sample CO2 Reductions
sum sequestration 3 tonnes(??)
sum replacing bricks with straw (reduce brick firing) 3 tonnes
sum reduced brick transportation 1 tonne
sum reduced emissions over 30 years 146.25 tonnes
 Total 153.25 tonnes reduction

On the financial end of CO2 trading, politics dictate the show. The world
community is still very early in the process of setting up systems that
will allow carbon credits to be traded. The recent meetings at the Hague
started to set up the rules and processes that will define the Clean
Development Mechanism (CDM) - process where by polluting developed
nations can "trade" CO2 credits in order to help less developed nations
develop in a cleaner way.

In the best possible scenario for our project, the politicos will allow
(and encourage) small development projects with added humanitarian value,
and will allow "future" carbon savings - savings which span the lifetime
of the "improvement" (in our case, housing). The United States' stand on
the Kyoto protocol will dictate the path of the CO2 market in the next
few years.

A 600 sf, partially owner-built straw-bale house in Heilongjiang, China
costs a little over $2000. In order to spread the technology, ADRA gives
a $750 - $1000 subsidy per house plus technical support for the Chinese
builders, owner-builders and project managers. In order for the whole
thing to achieve sustainable, "large scale" replication (more than 50
houses at a time), ADRA needs about $1250/house to cover subsidy plus
overhead (management, staff, travel, etc.). Back to simple math - $1250
USD / 153.25 tonnes CO2 emissions reduction = a little over $8.00/tonne
of CO2 emissions reduction. A small price to pay for the future of a
planet, no?

If all goes according to plans, ADRA China will use CDM funding and work
with local village associations to help owner-builders to build a
straw-bale houses. Each family who wants to build a house could receive
60% of the building material costs (about $500), a choice of several
building designs, materials lists, attend a straw-bale building workshop,
and get building help from their fellow owner-builders. ADRA would
provide training and advice during construction of the house. The final
details of the CDM are still being hammered out, but it may be a huge
source of funding for straw-bale housing in coal burning regions.

Good Luck with the politicos,

Kely