Digest for 8/7/01

-> Re: GSBN:Update:  International Straw Bale Registry
     by billc_lists@...

Date: 7 Aug 2001 13:40:41 -0500
From: billc_lists@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Update:  International Straw Bale Registry

>Hi Bill,
>Been looking at the new registry site. Is this meant only for the USA? If
>not there are some problems for us over here.
>1. Addresses in Ireland don't have a zip code, so making that field
>compulsory is a problem.

Certainly not limited to USA.  But I have to rely on the feedback I
get from other countries about what works and what doesn't.

I've got the zip problem covered, sort of... If you skip that field
while entering, the error message that you get back will ask you to
put an "X" in there instead.  I'd have put those instructions on the
entry page, but it could get messy to do so.

I've done the same for State and a few other required fields.

>2. If not wanting to give the whole address due to privacy, this can also be
>a problem with the compulsory fields.

As long as there's some text in there  - even simply putting
"withheld for privacy" or similar - it'll work.

At the risk of having to add more questions... do you think we should
ask which of the contact info to publish?  For example:

"Publish the following contact info on the Registry website (if you
accept visitors, you must choose at least one):
	__mailing address
	__physical location
	__contact phone
	__contact email
"

>3. I would prefer you to ask the question " If you used an
>architect/designer" rather than just architect, as many other sorts of
>people help to design and build, not just architects.

Good point.  I'll make that change.

>4. Any tips on how to input lots of info fast? I think I've about reached
>the number 40 in the places I've built!

Well...

I could probably put together an excel spreadsheet that you could
fill in and send to me.  You'd be able to do it offline, but you'd
still be answering the same number of questions 40 times.  But you
could copy and paste repeatable information (like Architect/Designer
and Builder) that way.

Give me a chance to get the Search mechanism up and running, and I'll
be able to turn attention toward upgrading what we already have.

In the meantime, please go ahead and fill in the data for one or two
real structures.   I need data to work with for the Search page.

BC
- --
Bill Christensen
billc@...