GSBN:TLS editorial "offer"

Hello GSBN'ers,

As many of you will be aware, The Last Straw Journal is undergoing a
"change of hands", from Catherine Wanek and the crew at Black Range to
Joyce Coppinger in Nebraska. As part of this change, I will be acting as
editor, under Joyce's managing editorship, for the next two issues. I'm
really looking forward to putting these issues together, and I'd like to
make you all an offer I hope you can't refuse!

Collectively, all of us on the GSBN list possess a wealth of straw bale
knowledge that, ideally, could be shared and discussed in the pages of TLS.
But, as a busy bale builder myself, I realize that most of us don't always
have the time available for writing articles for The Last Straw (even when
our intentions are good!). To make things easier for anybody with a story
idea, I would be more than willing to use my editorial time to take your
ideas, notes, emails, suggestions, etc, and turn them into copy for the
journal. In other words, I do the writing and leg-work, you be the brains!
I'd like to make it as easy as possible to make what we all know available
to the readership of TLS.

The January issue has as its theme, "Going Commercial". This will include
articles on the construction of commercial buildings (obviously), but also
articles on the process of "going commercial" with bale building. This
could range from thoughts on the "mainstreaming" of bale building to the
business of being a bale contractor, to specific articles about working
with other tradespeople on bale projects. With bale building poised on the
sometimes-scary edge of becoming a widespread building technique, I think
this issue can have a lot of relevance, and look forward to your
suggestions as to content. We need to have articles in place by late
Nov/early Dec for this issue.

"Roofs & Foundations" is the theme for the April issue. This issue will
focus on technical information, including the variety of materials and
methods, details of construction and/or installation, etc. Late Feb/early
March is the deadline on this one.

The Last Straw has always been a valuable source of information for the
straw bale building community. It is our hope that each of you will help us
to continue to publish a wide-ranging and important journal, one that
inspires and informs both newcomers and grizzled veterans alike!

Looking forward to hearing from you all, and sharing your ideas.

Cheers,

Chris Magwood

613-473-1718
www.strawhomes.ca

Check out our book:
Straw Bale Building: How to Plan, Design and Build with Straw
(New Society Publishers, ISBN 0-86571-403-7)
as reviewed in Fine Homebuilding!