RE: GSBN:Lime and Cement Plaster

Dear Kelly,

Difficult to respond without knowing more about the properties of your
Californian lime. Guess its  white, in powder form which normally dries
rather long and is described in France as chaux airienne.

In the Netherlands we do have for example lime made of shells, which
consists naturally of 80% "airlime (sorry for that translation)" and 20%
hydraulic lime (also in powder form) which for moistures weather conditions
is rather effective.

In France I did use without any problems 80% chaux airienne and as my
hydraulic lime had run out 20% of portland cement, together 1 part and 3
parts sand, so 50:50 is applied for the first of three layers if the next
two are simply "airienne", however a continuous mix of 80% lime and 20 %
cement are also possible. If you use a 50:50 mixture through all the layers
moisture will not be able to leave from inside the house.

People who are experienced with clay plasters and usually work with their
bare hands need to use gloves. There are mechanical applications too
(tyriollenne and spraying the plaster).
I have not heard of any corrosion etc. due to the use of lime. I persume
otherwise it would not be sold in do-it-your-self-stores...

Limestuccos need to dry slowly. A week is fine for the first layer, the
second two weeks, ... sunshine provokes cracks.

Do you have time for testing your mixtures? Might be the best.

Success, Martin