GSBN:Re: Lime & Cement Plaster

While we're on the subject of plasters, perhaps some of you might be interested in the little-publicised, unpublished test report (don't ask me why, cuz man, I don't know) on the subject of :

 "Moisture Properties of Plaster and Stucco for Strawbale Buildings"

which GSBN listmember WatJohn (aka Dr. John Straube, aka the Truth-seeking Listowell Missile, aka Spice Flake, (who would never toot his own horn, I don't think he even owns a horn )) wrote for CMHC a couple of years ago.

WatJohn looked at 5 basic plaster mixes (including Portland cement, PC/lime, earthen) and 11 variations thereof, with different surface treatments (including elastomeric, siloxane, linseed, calcium stearate, latex, alkyd ) and provides us with permeance/permeability numbers for each, both in SUI and Imperial units. Unfortunately the mud in Waterloo did not produce a suitable earthen plaster so WatJohn was not able to evaluate that mix as thoroughly as he would have wished.

The report was kindly posted by Norbert Senf at his Masonry Heater Association website and is downloadable as an 18 page Adobe PDF file.

http://mha-net.org/msb/research/CMHCsbplaster.pdf

And while we're tooting horns, the "word on the street" is that the Casas que Cantan 2001 Music CD/Story Booklet should be available for distribution within the next few days. If you have no idea as to WTF I'm talking about, please visit Athena and Beel Steens' website

      http://www.caneloproject.com
      then click on "Mexico Work"
      and "Casas que Cantan"

and then please consider making a $20 donation (or any multiple of and "yes" international donations via PayPal can be accepted), for which you will receive a copy of the CD/booklet as a "thank you for your support". The CqC 2000 version was well-received last year and I would expect this year's version to be just as precious, if not moreso.

 --- * ---
Robert W. Tom
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
rw_tom@...