-> RE: GSBN: Lime & Cement Plaster
     by jfstraube@...

Date: 11 Dec 2001 18:58:25 -0600
From: jfstraube@...
Subject: RE: GSBN: Lime & Cement Plaster

Hi all.  Sorry I have been silent on this, but I've been on the road.

The numbers in my report are actually not that different than other
published values from European research.  Remember that the permeance values
are for specific thickness of stuccos -- thinner stuccos of the same type
are more permeable!
The conclusion is that the addition of lime quite dramatically increases
vapour permeance and reduces stiffness (this leads to less strength but
greater flexibility). The traditional (last 50 yrs) reason to use lime has
only been to increase plasticity.

Masonry cement does not have lime, but chemical plasticizers. I do not know
if masonry cement increases permeance, but I doubt it.

Lime is, within measuring accuracy, just as caustic as portland cement.

Remember of course that earth plaster is both more permeable to vapour (and
to liquid water. )

John Straube
Dept of Civil Engineering and School of Architecture
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1 CANADA