Date: 29 Jan 2002 02:27:25 -0600
From: billc_lists@...
Subject: RE: GSBN:Herbert Gruber invited

Catherine wrote:

>If Herbert Gruber is not on the GSBN list already, I nominate him.
>He (and his wife Astrid) are indeed excellent SB and natural
>building advocates.

An invitation has been sent to Herbert.  I'll let you know when he joins.

BC

ps: the Strawbale Registry now has 150 listings.  Keep 'em coming!

- --
Bill Christensen
billc@...

Green Homes For Sale/Lease:  http://SustainableSources.com/realestate/
Green Building Pro Directory:  http://directory.sustainablesources.com/
Sustainable Bldg Calendar:  http://SustainableSources.com/calendar/
Sustainable Bldg Bookstore: http://SustainableSources.com/bookstore
International Strawbale Registry: http://sbregistry.sustainablesources.com

Date: 29 Jan 2002 13:23:16 -0600
From: Mark Piepkorn duckchow@...
Subject: Knowledge In The Making (1996)

         I'm sitting in a camper in a campground with a laptop working on a
long-needed redesign of the TLS website (which won't be done and uploaded
for at least another week), and just had the opportunity to re-read a piece
that Judy Knox wrote back in '96 for the first resources issue. I was
particularly moved by some of her words in the second part of the article,
which ring as true today as they did then. Truer!

         I thought some of you might enjoy reading this again.

         And if anybody wants to forward it to the CREST list, g'head. I'd
do it myself, but not having a phone line anymore and hence only sporadic
access to the 'net and email, I had to get off that high-volume group.
Since I'm not joined up to it, I can't post to it.

         Oh, and also, people on that list (and maybe this) would
appreciate some photos of a low-tech bale retrofit project in Maryland,
along with some shots of a new SB addition on the same house. They're at
http://www.potkettleblack.com/misc/sam1.html (it's Sam Droege's place, who
some may remember from the CREST list if they've been around for a while,
or from the '98 Colloquium East if they were there).

         Sam embodies the spirit of an excellent essay by Rod Miner with
Marty Stomberg, also from the pages of TLS, which can be found reprinted on
the web at http://www.strawhomes.com/main/back/21_1.html

- -----

  Knowledge In The Making
  by Judy Knox - Tucson, Arizona
  Issue #15, Summer 1996

  A Resource Directory for Straw-Bale Construction;
  it's certainly grown into a necessity, and promises
  to be one of the most useful issues of TLS ever
  produced. As with any directory, however, it's
  functional when you need to access specific
  information, but can be pretty boring fare in the
  eyes of some beholders.

  My eyes may be a bit more "straw-crossed" than
  most, but when I behold this compilation of people,
  tools, materials, information systems, and
  collaborative support networks, I see a brilliant
  kaleidoscope of people's creativity, curiosity,
  mistakes, risks, changed choices, cooperation,
  courage and commitment... weaving and
  connecting into designs that we may never fully
  understand or replicate, but which have, from the
  beginning of this modern-day straw renaissance,
  inspired our growing community to stretch and to
  reach toward new visions of what is possible.

  Seven years ago, as Matts Myhrman's article
  "Ruminations of a Hunter-Gatherer" [see page 32]
  reveals, the information base for straw-bale
  construction was as sparse as the numbers of
  people who even knew it was an option. Those few
  people, as well as the straw-bale houses they built,
  were widely scattered around the United States
  and Canada, with little or no awareness of each
  other.

  Their predecessors - the early 1900's Nebraska
  straw-bale homes, and those surviving pioneers
  who built them, lived in them and remembered
  them - were scattered in isolated pockets of the
  Sandhills. Roger Welsch's valuable research about
  them, reprinted in Shelter (1973), connected
  readers of that book to historic straw-bale
  structures, and kindled the mostly private
  imaginations of others to discover more. Welsch's
  article guided Matts and I on our first research trip
  to the Sandhills in August of 1989, where we
  documented the homes, memories and stories of
  these straw-bale pioneers. They were generally
  unaware that anyone else beyond their ken had
  built with straw bales, and surprised that others
  would be interested in their experiences.

  I see the most far-reaching effect of our Nebraska
  roots in the way we have thus far perceived the
  technology and its fast-growing information base
  as public domain. Here's the formula for our
  community-based revival: gather the existing
  information, use it - with your own innovations - to
  build with bales, record what did and didn't work,
  and pass that information on to others. Today, this
  culture of inclusiveness and grassroots
  participation at every level of both growing and
  using our collection of resources is the beating
  heart of the straw-bale construction revival.

  In 1989 the sum total of compiled and distributable
  information consisted of the Shelter article; a Fine
  HomeBuilding article about an architect's straw
- -bale studio in Winters, California; two articles in
  Mother Earth News; David Bainbridge's working
  paper on straw-bale construction; and some local
  newspaper or newsletter reports. That was just
  about it, other than the scattered buildings
  themselves and the knowledge and images stored
  in the minds and photo albums of the people
  connected to them.

  From 1989 through 1991, information was
  gathered and distributed in very word-of-mouth,
  hands-on ways. People like Bill and Athena Steen,
  Steve Kemble and Carol Escott, Virginia Carabelli,
  Tony Perry, Matts and I, and others, began building
  and experimenting with straw-bale construction in
  New Mexico and Arizona. Matts and I would often
  show our historic slides, adding current ones as
  more buildings were built. Growing groups of
  people showed up for wall-raisings, and, as word
  spread, we began showing our "straw and piggy
  show" to more and more groups and
  organizations. Simultaneously, Matts injected his
  enthusiasm and knowledge through phone lines,
  letters, visits - connecting people and information
  with tireless zeal. He pursued every lead on other
  straw-bale structures and/or people who might
  know anything about them. Our file cabinets began
  to bulge with straw-bale information. He wrote
  articles about what we had learned so far and
  published them. A short bibliography, and then a
  "cobbed together" information packet were
  developed to meet the growing requests for
  information. Soon, some of us began teaching
  workshops as a way of distributing the growing
  information-base, which required us to develop
  some teaching materials. Matts and I produced the
  brief Straw Bales for Shelter video, while Steve
  and Carol began planning their introductory video,
  The Elegant Solution. David Bainbridge (who had
  been loving and researching straw-bale buildings
  longer than any of us), along with Bill and Athena,
  planned to produce the first simple information
  booklet, while Steve MacDonald and his son Orien
  began work on the first Straw-Bale Primer.

  As Matts and I headed for the Sandhills of
  Nebraska for our second research trip in the
  summer of 1991, there was a small but growing
  straw-bale community, excited about participating
  in this grassroots revival. Straw-bale construction
  was not the primary involvement for any of us
  (though Matts was fast approaching his full-time
  bliss!), and none of us could have predicted the
  tidal wave headed our way which would threaten to
  engulf our lives, and would change them forever. In
  a few short months, interest in straw-bale
  construction would be kindled into wildfires
  nationwide, fueled by a media coverage blitz. Our
  principal challenge would become how to compile
  and transfer the rapidly-growing information base
  into adequate information resources, and develop
  distribution systems quickly enough to meet the
  explosive public demand without being totally
  overwhelmed in the process.

  The Gospel According to Judy

  Five years later, as TLS approaches the
  completion of its fourth year of uninterrupted
  quarterly publication, including this 15th, resource-
  packed issue, I have a few thoughts and
  ruminations about the straw-bale revival and
  growing our wisdom and knowledge as straw-bale
  resource providers and users:

  * Straw-bale construction carries its own power to
  excite people's interest and to transform the lives
  of people who use it. There is something about
  straw-bale construction that touches our deepest
  yearnings and reconnects us to our personal
  source of power. Straw-bale resource providers
  are not the message, only the messengers.

  * Straw-bale construction is a dynamic, fast-
  changing technology. Its grassroots-grown
  information and resources are only a composite of
  many people's experience, including some
  research and testing, of what works and doesn't in
  differing situations and environments. Just as straw
  -bale construction is one choice among
  appropriate construction methods, its resources
  are choices or options for how to build with straw
  bales, rather than "the way" to do things.

  * Our work as resource providers is most powerful
  when inspiring resource users to fully and
  responsibly participate as straw-bale innovators
  and community members.

  * Good resource providers have a primary
  responsibility to remain actively informed and
  engaged in the fast-changing information and
  resource network. That includes doing the work of
  "the commons", i.e. that work that benefits the
  whole straw-bale community, present and future,
  but that does not necessarily bring immediate
  personal gain.

  * Resource users have a primary responsibility to
  be accountable for their own choices, thoroughly
  checking on the reliability and competency of
  resource providers, and choosing appropriate
  information and human resources as a tool to
  guide their own problem-solving process.

  * Resource providers and users are most
  empowered by straw-bale construction when
  choices about which resources to use and which
  people to work with are clearly connected to
  essential values. For a straw-bale designer/builder
  who left conventional building behind because of
  its destructive environmental consequences, a
  7000sf straw-bale home with a four-car garage that
  your potential client wants may be equally
  inappropriate and harmful. For an owner/builder
  who is just rediscovering the "I Can", a straw-bale
  "expert" who is telling you "the way" to do things as
  though you have little of value to contribute may
  shatter your fragile confidence with a shrug or
  raised brow. You deserve an advocate, so find
  one.

  * Both straw-bale resource providers and users
  must be realistic and honest with each other about
  what to expect, what is offered, and what is doable
  according to the circumstances. Taking the time to
  come to absolute clarity with each other is time well
  spent in the long run.

  Now, in the summer of 1996, the information and
  resource base for straw-bale construction
  continues to grow rapidly, but even more dramatic
  are the changing needs and opportunities that
  continually challenge the usefulness, dependability
  and availability of these resources. There's lots of
  new information pouring in, with people climbing on
  board to teach, build, design and innovate. The
  moment of choice nears, whether this powerful
  straw-bale alternative can include this new rush of
  people and energy, while holding firmly to its deep,
  nourishing grassroots.

  Crucially, I see the inclusive and transformative
  power of this revival dependent on the degree to
  which each and every participant becomes both a
  learner and a teacher, both a resource user and a
  resource provider.

The Last Straw
http://www.strawhomes.com
http://www.thelaststraw.org