RE: GSBN:copyright

At 05:40 AM 1/27/02, la-maison-en-paille.com@...:
> I have a question regarding copyright to those of you with
> publishing experience...

Andre-

I think a complete answer can only come from the country in which the book is published. International copyright was established by various treaties (which most developed countries have signed), which form the basis for national copyright law. However, within a specific country, the copyright laws which implement the terms of the treaties can be significantly different from those in another country. In the United States, for example, Freedom of the Press has Constitutional guarantees, which grant any journalistic work more rights and freedoms than other kinds of publishing. There are many court decisions on what defines a journalistic work, as opposed to scholarly or something else. These US regulations would not be relevant in France, but French laws would be.

I spoke with a lawyer from my university, who specializes in copyright law. She indicated even greater freedom to photograph buildings than John Straube posted. Her legal opinion was that for the United States, there is no copyright protection for any building or architecture, even if you photographed it from inside a private residence. Trespassing and other laws would protect an owner from intrusive photographers, but copyright would not apply. Similarly, copyright doesn't apply to pictures of peoples' faces, but privacy laws give people some rights to control where their image appears. I suspect that each country's privacy rights also differ.

So while the general rules are similar in different countries, important details may vary.

Good luck,

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek@...