From: GSBN [mailto:GSBN@...]On Behalf Of Derek Roff
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 2:23 PM
To: GSBN
Subject: RE: GSBN:copyright

>> At 05:40 AM 1/27/02, la-maison-en-paille.com@...:
>> > I have a question regarding copyright to those of you with
>> > publishing experience...

Andre-

I  think a complete answer can only come from the country in which
the book is published.  International copyright was established by
various treaties (which most developed countries have signed), which
form the basis for national copyright law. However, within a specific
country, the copyright laws which implement the terms of the treaties
can be significantly different from those in another country.  In the
United States, for example, Freedom of the Press has Constitutional
guarantees, which grant any journalistic work more rights and
freedoms than other kinds of publishing.  There are many court
decisions on what defines a journalistic work, as opposed to
scholarly or something else.  These US regulations would not be
relevant in France, but French laws would be.

I spoke with a lawyer from my university, who specializes in
copyright law.  She indicated even greater freedom to photograph
buildings than John Straube posted.  Her legal opinion was that for
the United States, there is no copyright protection for any building
or architecture, even if you photographed it from inside a private
residence.  Trespassing and other laws would protect an owner from
intrusive photographers, but copyright would not apply.  Similarly,
copyright doesn't apply to pictures of peoples' faces, but privacy
laws give people some rights to control where their image appears.  I
suspect that each country's privacy rights also differ.

So while the general rules are similar in different countries,
important details may vary.

Good luck,

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek@...