Date: 30 Jan 2002 12:03:51 -0600
From: jfstraube@...
Subject: RE: Rejected: RE: GSBN:copyright

As your editor pointed out, any image taken from public property (or public
view) that does not include a recognisable private person (celebrities are
OK) does not require a release form.  Providing people with some idea of
where the house is and who built it is nice practise and useful to your
readers, but is not an issue for copyright law.

If the photo is taken inside the house, or from a vantage point that
required you to be on the owners property, you should obtain a release if
you wish to publish the photo.

The law is quite sensible on this point, IMO, since why copyright a view
anybody can have for free?

The photos you take are your creative work and are hence protected by
copyright.

Dr John Straube
Building Solutions
165 Albert St., Waterloo, ON, Canada