Re: GSBN:Straw bale house plan book

>From: Gayle Borst gayle@...
>Subject: Straw bale house plan book
>
>Do any of you know of a book of straw bale house plans that contained
>some nice designs for very small homes with optional expansion wings?
>I think Steve Kemble has a book out, but I don't think this one I am
>thinking about is his. ....
>
>Any assistance here will be most appreciated, as I often get requests
>for such plans.
>thanks all
>gayle

Gayle,

Not that I want to be shamelessly self-serving, but I've just finished a
book called "Straw Bale Details: A Manual for Designers and Builders". It's
not actually a book of plans, but rather a book of detail drawings which
would make it simple to adapt any existing, non-straw house plan to be
appropriate for straw bale (load-bearing or post-and-beam). It will be
available from New Society Publishers sometime in February.

The resources issue of The Last Straw (#35) lists several plan booklets for
straw bale. They include:

Compact Homes Plans for Strawbale and Superinsulated Construction, from
Community Ecodesign Network erichart@...

Pueblo Habitat for Humanity Straw Bale House Plans, Pueblo Habitat for
Humanity, PO Box 11692, Pueblo, CO 81003

Straw-Bale Home Plans by Stephen Kemble, as you mentioned

Straw Bale Portfolio, A Collection of Sixteen Designs for Straw Bale Homes,
by Tom Greenwood and Paul Weiner

I personally haven't seen any of these publications, and that's the extent
of the contact info listed in TLS but that will hopefully get you started
with some resources. I know there is a web site that features lots of bale
plans too, but you'll have to wait for someone more net savvy on this list
to come up with that address!

Cheers,

Chris

613-473-1718
www.strawhomes.ca

Check out our book:
Straw Bale Building: How to Plan, Design and Build with Straw
&
Straw Bale Details: A Manual for Designers and Builders
both from New Society Publishers <www.newsociety.com>