Re: GSBN:Straw bale house plan book

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0" charset=""><html>
gayle@...
>Subject: Straw bale house plan book
>Do any of you know of a book of straw bale house plans that
contained
>some nice designs for very small homes with optional expansion
wings?
>I think Steve Kemble has a book out, but I don't think this one I
am
>thinking about is his. ....  >Any assistance here will be
most appreciated, as I often get requests for such plans.
>thanks all
>gayle</blockquote>

Hi Gayle -- I think you may be thinking about the Small Homes issue of
TLS, #30, which had such a house --  One such home contained
doorways fitted with closets, but with potential to add on through those
spaces in the future.

I also endorse Steve Kemble's book of 10 "Straw Bale Home
Plans," -- which are all sensible, smallish designs with passive
solar aspects.  I would recommend these for the owner-builder, as
they are kept simple.

And, Bob Lanning's "Straw Bale Portfolio," contains 16 designs,
mostly SW &amp; pueblo style, that are compact and attractive.

Joelee Joyce (Out on Bale By Mail) and I (Natural Building Resources)
both sell  them, and you can find them on our websites.

I'm not such a fan of Eric Hart's book of designs (from Minnesota.)
The designs look rather complicated to build, and are more mid-west in
character, as you would expect.

The Habitat For Humanity Plans, are a full set of drawings for the homes
built in Pueblo Colorado-  I think you can find them on Robert
Anderson's website called
He has a number of designs on his site, too.

Best Regards,
Catherine Wanek

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not

fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not

spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the

genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of

life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity

hanging on a cross of iron.
--President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953 speech

</x-html>