From: Mikael Westermarck Mikael.Westermarck@...
Subject: Clarification on SB structures is published

Dear friends and colleagues,

We have now finished a clarification on straw bales as a construction material in the wooden buildings of farms. The report in Finnish is published in our web site http://www.hut.fi/Yksikot/LRT/Olkipaalirakentaminen and can be downloaded without charge. In case your studies in Finnish language are not so far yet you can still exploit the structural design part of the publication which is illustrated with several drawings. The project was carried out mostly as an international clarification and no new tests were done in the project. However we made some calculations about the condensation of water vapour in different circumstances and the result was that in our climate which is very humid there should be used some kind a water vapour barrier (minimum of 40x109 m2 s Pa/kg) in the animal houses. The structures of residential houses however can desorb the amount of water during the warm period that is adsorbed during the cold period. There are two follow up measurements of RH inside the bale structures going on in Finland but unfortunately the results were not yet ready to be reported in this publication.

We want to send especial thanks for following people for providing us important material for this clarification:
· Markus Piringer, GLOBAL 2000, Austria
· Hannes Hohensinner, Gruppe Angepasste Technologie / Technische Universität Wien, Austria · Rob Jolly, Department of Civil Engineering and School of Architecture, University of Waterloo, Canada
· John Straube, Canada

Please feel free to pass this information to anybody who might have use of it.

Best regards,

Mikael Westermarck

Mikael.Westermarck@...
http://www.hut.fi/Units/LRT
Tel.  +358-(0)40-7364277, Fax. +358-(0)9-43982857

*