-> A couple thoughts, a bit of news
     by Mark Piepkorn duckchow@...

Date: 1 Feb 2002 12:36:24 -0600
From: Mark Piepkorn duckchow@...
Subject: A couple thoughts, a bit of news

         First (responding to an email that I don't think was intended to
have been posted to the entire list), I think there's just as much of a
responsibility for the old folks of SB to get to know the new ones as vice
versa. Entire societies crumble and are reborn because the old guard
becomes insulated, unaware of what powerful changes the young'ns are up to.

         In my most jaded moments I'd say that it's human nature not to
learn from the past - much to the detriment of humans and everything around
them. This is as much a statement about "new" people as "old" ones, in
strawbale or anything else.

         On a similar note, there are some just plain bad listings in the
most recent TLS Resources issue. A particularly egregious example is the
CEDN planbook, which has been cited here twice in as many days. This
planbook has not been available for three years. Because I felt it was a
ridiculous to include resources that were no longer available, I deleted
the listing during my editorship at TLS. I have no idea how or why it
resurfaced.

         That said, I agree with Catherine's assessment of what it was. Her
statement that the designs were "mid-west in character" brought to mind yet
another terrific article from TLS past (#13, Winter 1996), this one penned
by Paul Lacinski, co-author of the book Serious Strawbale, with Amy
Klippenstein, titled "Regional Identity: Questions for the Nebraska-Style
House." The article can be found online, for the time being, at
http://www.strawhomes.com/main/back/13_6a.html

- -----