GSBN:Long silent here but not for lack of interest

Hello all

I have been pretty inactive on this list for quite a while. Not that I
don't read all the messages eventually, but being overcommitted by a
factor of at least two leaves less than no time to deal with the "I want
to"s in addition to the "I need to"s.  But as it is a Sunday and I'm home
sick (flu) and I can't spend my entire time doing the work I brought home
with me, I felt compelled to add a few thoughts to this conversation.

First, I am grateful and delighted with Joyce and Chris for their
commitment and willingness to get in the harness and pull TLS further
along!  The great thing about the sb whole movement has been the fact
that there are people willing to step up and take on the work in the
commons. It is what has separated straw bale from many of the other
alternative building systems. We shouldn't take it for granted however -
it is gift and a blessing for which we should be openly thankful!

I was just writing the director's message for DCAT's 2001 annual report
and in it reflecting on DCAT's first ten years. I was actually writing
about patterns in the roles and general evolution of our work in straw
bale that have reappeared in the codes work.  Rather than describing it,
let me just share a bit of what I wrote because I think it may be
interest and perhaps useful at this point. Sorry for the length of this...

-------
...In the very early days of DCAT we became involved in the fledgling
straw bale construction revival. What started as a small activity grew to
a central focus for a few years. Early in that rapidly expanding revival,
few people had much depth of experience or understanding of this
century-old building system. And of the people most knowledgeable and
experienced with straw bale construction, few had experience in
mainstream design and building, or getting code approval for alternative
building materials. Our early alliance with Matts Myhrman and Judy Knox
of Out On Bale, unLtd. coupled our expertise with general and alternative
building and some limited experience with building codes, with their
knowledge of straw bale construction and grassroots and community
education and organizing. When they started The Last Straw journal to
gather and share what was being learned, I began writing articles, one of
which was about straw bale construction and building codes. That evolved
into a working paper and the whole thing snowballed. DCAT became "Straw
Bale Codes Central."

We wrote many more articles, consulted on projects, created publications,
led workshops, seminars, and presentations all over the U.S. and abroad.
We worked with many others to share the expertise and knowledge as
broadly as possible. We sought out potential leaders and champions for
the revival and collaborated with them. Many were professionals -
architects, several engineers, contractors, and even a few building
officials. We also helped lead some of the early research and testing
efforts, and developed improved techniques and designs. Eventually, based
on the testing and experience we'd gained, Matts Myhrman and I
spearheaded the multi-year effort to write the first building code for
load-bearing straw bale construction, which was adopted in Tucson and
Pima County, Arizona in January 1996.

Sometime down that path our focus began to shift to the larger set of
institutional barriers to straw bale and other alternatives; things like
insurance, appraisal, and financing, which, like building codes,
frequently stand in the way of mainstreaming alternative construction. We
realized that building codes represented a critical leverage point that
no one else was dealing with, and so we concentrated on them, initially
for straw bale and other alternatives, but expanding quickly to include
the whole building regulatory arena.

Coinciding with that shift in focus was our recognition that the straw
bale community had matured to the point that we could slip out of our
leadership role into more of a supporting role. We celebrated the fact
that we had helped foster such competent competition and shared
leadership and joyfully moved on to the next important piece of work for
DCAT. We didn't have to search for it because it had already revealed
itself - the need for a sustainable context for building regulation.

That whole process emerged naturally over time as a result of our vision
of the world we were trying to create and the alignment of our values
with that vision. It flowed from the recognition of real, specific
community needs into appropriate action based on our guiding principles
of shared leadership, collaboration, leverage, equity, and synergy.

Last year we started describing our program, Building Sustainability into
the Codes, as a three phase process. We identified the three phases as
Awareness Building, Capacity Building, and Transferring Leadership. Guess
what? This is the exact pattern our straw bale work had followed several
years earlier. We realized we have a powerful and straightforward
framework in which to envision all our systemic change work.

Here's the beauty of this: there is enormous leverage in identifying
where our values and goals align with those we are seeking to influence,
and then developing a program based on that alignment which creates
awareness of the need for change. With that awareness comes a natural
receptiveness for the capacity building process which provides the
knowledge, resources, and expertise needed for them to be able to change.
And most critically, if done well, this process empowers them to
internalize responsibility for the ongoing process.
----------------

I wanted to share that portion of what I was writing because it puts what
is happening into a broader perspective. It is something that I hope we
can maintain in the sb movement - a constant process of developing and
sharing leadership. There was a little piece of Ralph Nader's speech when
he accepted the nomination to run for President for the Green Party last
time that was right on the mark - he said that the real job of leaders is
not to create more followers but to create more leaders. I think that has
been the strength of the straw bale movement. This isn't easy or simple,
nor does it come naturally to most of us raised in less than ideally
functional societies. But fostering that process is important and that
means, in part, making sure that as new champions emerge and step
forward, they are supported, that they don't feel alone or that they are
the only ones pulling any weight. Not that that doesn't happen from time
to time - it is part of the work of leaders, but it shouldn't be the
predominant pattern.

I know that everyone on this list is busy and overcommitted.  I suspect
that it is the same for most of you as it is for me - this isn't the
typical workaholic response of someone running away from or avoiding
something they don't want to have to think about or face up to, but
rather more like the kid in the candy shop, with so many things we want
to taste, try, do, help with, bring into being. I hope none of you are as
busy or overcommitted as I am, because it isn't really a good or healthy
thing. But we can each bring something to this, to support the process
and pull some of the load.  It might just be a suggestion of something to
look into, a person to contact for a story, a resource you came across or
produced, etc. But probably, if you're on this list, you have something
worth sharing. I raise my hand - guilty for too long of neglecting this
obligation here.

So, there are things that I want to write for TLS but have felt so
overcommitted and behind on existing obligations and commitments that
I've been reluctant to suggest them.  Here's what I am willing to do  -
look for those little windows when I just can't continue to work on what
I'm working on at the moment, and create a little TLS file, wherein I
will start (and hopefully be able to finish - I will try to impose some
discipline but not hard deadlines - I have too many of those already)
articles on the following topics:

1. Developing a Straw Bale Subcontractor License Category with State
Registrars of Contractors. (I know that this may be mostly relevant to
the US audience and that I should have written this piece for the going
mainstream issue). I know that those on this list who were present in
Nebraska at the last sb gathering there, that Joyce organized, heard me
expound on this, but this IS the way the construction system in the US
works and if we had straw bale subcontractors, general contractors would
be able and willing to take on sb projects within the legal and
contractual system in which probably 90% of residential construction
takes place. The requirements for getting this done are a national
organization that could establish minimum requirements for someone to be
considered a qualified bale builder - in terms of basic knowledge and
experience, and a test that could be administered the way other
contractor categories are, that when passed qualifies someone to become a
licensed sb subcontractor.  I understand the resistance that has always
been there to such a standardization and institutionalization of
something as opposite to that paradigm as straw bale has always been. But
I know for certain that there would be twice as many or more sb houses if
this structure were in place, because as it stands now, someone with
conventional bank financing who can't find a general contractor willing
to either learn sb or put sb workers with some experience on their
payroll to do the work, has a very difficult time getting a straw bale
house built. I know the fear is that this will become bureaucratic and
bring all the commercial/profiteer spirited, rather than eco and
communitarian spirited people into sb construction and the whole thing
will change and we will lose the essence of what has drawn so many of us
to sb construction.  I understand the fear, I feel it myself. But I also
know that until something like this happens, this will be a marginalized
building system that can't become mainstream because it takes too much
work for ordinary people to accomplish in their real lives. It's great
that there are so many people willing to swim so hard upstream and we all
appreciate the quality of these people when they are our clients.  But I
don't think this will kill the grassroots, owner/builder, swim-upstream
process, just supplement it with a path for those who want to become more
professional, who want to create viable businesses building straw bale
houses, and who want both the protection and distinction of being
licensed, bonded and insured. And this would also give the national
organization, should it ever come into being, the role of setting the
standards for what is good practice for both design and building. Those
who are trying to build careers in this field and who see some of the
disasters that are possible, waiting to happen, or have already
experienced or seen them, know that this is a step in the maturing
process that must take place at some point to keep sb from getting a bad
reputation. This is something that needs some real leadship, that I wish
I had the time and energy to provide, but maybe someone or some group of
people are out there waiting for the opportunity to step forward and such
an article might at least create a wider discussion about this idea.
Sorry, I didn't mean to write the article here on the list...maybe it's
the fever...

2. Alternative Building and the Codes - Where We Are and Where We're
Going.  I think its probably time to revisit this topic, both for sb
codes and for the larger work that we are doing and some of the emerging
possibilities for change. I won't write more on this now, blessedly, but
I could....

I know that I could write about foundations and concrete, but I'm not
going to.  Bill and Athena are already pissed enough at me for not
finishing the rewrite of The Straw Bale House...  So there's my personal
commitment - that and a willingness to try to be a bit more responsive to
Joyce and Chris if and when they ask for advice, help, or comfort.

Thanks to all of you for being who you are and doing what you do in the
world.  It is more important than ever!

David

David Eisenberg
Director
P.O. Box 27513
Tucson, Arizona 85726-7513 USA
(520) 624-6628
(520) 798-3701 Fax
David@...
strawnet@...(direct personal e-mail)
www.dcat.net

The future is not out there in front of us, but inside us. - Joanna Macy