RE: GSBN:re: [paille] Contreventemnt maison paille

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Bonjour Andre - Simon,

pre-compressing the top-plate with 5t-belts works well for compact walls.
Hitting the walls, they will "sing", the soundwaves move through the wall.
With loose bales you don't receive that quality, something the French
engineers might be afraid of. Attaching the top-plate at the post and beam
structure keeps the walls compact. Than you can remove the compression
belts. Results: less airgaps, easier shaving and less stucco. The Ouwerkerk
house matched easily 8 tons windloads and performance of even more compact
walls have improved since than.

Attractive and easy comprehensible is also Tom Rijvens system: post -
strawbale - post - etc. screwing a bar between the posts to keep the
strawbale on spot, cut the strings and continue...

Jan Steenks and myself tried strings instead of a bar which works well too
and in a different form: post - strawbale - post - etc + precompression on
the total length of the wall which works excitingly well. If Simons
engineers are interested in exchange of experiences, detailed plans would be
appreciated. Bracing or not depends on the design and the choosen technique.

If you think in terms of pre-fab elements you might get in touch with
Herbert Gruber.

Salut, Martin Oehlmann

Werkgroep Strobouw Den Haag
0031-70-3650410