-> List of SB testing reports
     by Andre de Bouter m.ep@...
-> Re:List of SB testing reports
     by jfstraube@...

Date: 14 Mar 2002 09:13:24 -0600
From: Andre de Bouter m.ep@...
Subject: List of SB testing reports

Hi everybody

I'm trying to make a comprehensive list of all the tests that have been done
on SB. And I would like to aquire a copy of all the reports that have been
written on them.

Your help to get the list complete and to find the contact information to
get/buy the reports (including those mentioned below) will be greatly
apreciated.

I did visit DCAT's website, but did not find any reports on testing to
download.

So far I have listed:

Chris Magwood wrote:
Kris Dick, of the University of Manitoba, has been doing a bunch of testing
on these issues lately. I know that he has specified a wire cross-bracing
system for a couple of our projects (TLS #34 has a sketch), but has also
put a lot of work into researching the cross-bracing effect of plastered sb
walls. He has generated some numbers that are very positive, and might help
convince your engineers.

Chris Magwood wrote:
The EBNet Conference CD-ROM has a good article, Straw Bale Shear Wall
Lateral Load Test, California Polytechnic State University, December, 2000,
By Jason Nichols &Stan Raap

John Daglish wrote:
Summary of Results of a Structural Straw Bale Testing Program based on a
Masters thesis by Ghailene Bou-Ali. This is for a bale wall without render and
centre pinned bale wall
with thread rod pre-tensioning system.

John Glassford wrote:
Yesterday Mike Faine collected some Ganmain soil and Ganmain chaff to take
back to the University of Western Sydney. Mike and his team are about to
commence a series of
structural load bearing tests using earth renders with a lime putty finish.

John Glassford wrote:
I carried out some tests on a sound studio that we built in Sydney a few years
ago. The results were sent to the Archives.

Catherine Wanek wrote:
the New Mexico fire test results, of a successful 2-hour SB test to ASTM
standards...

Catherine Wanek wrote:
a relatively new SB "Flame spread and Smoked developed fire test" was done
last year and the results are very good. These have just been posted to the
DCAT (Development Center for Appropriate Technology) website at: www.dcat.net
so you can download them if needed
http://www.azstarnet.com/~dcat/

Lars Keller wrote:
On April 5th (2001) the Danish Fire Technical Institute will undertake two
tests

Herbert Gruber wrote:
Our project, financed by the Austrian Ministry for Traffic, Technology and
Innovation and in cooperation with GrAT (Group for Appropriate Technology at
the University of Technology in Vienna) is finished:

Herbert Gruber wrote:
Concerning a full scale fire test for a straw bale building it was interesting
for me to visit the report and video-presentation of Dr. Vahik Enjily from the
Centre for Timber Technology and Construction, Building Research
Establishment, UK (BRE: www.bre.co.uk) in Vienna.
BRE built a six story timber and frame building in a hangar and made a lot of
(full-scale-)fire tests under regular circumstances. The results are gathered
in a study and are very interesting, I think.
Now I believe (even when you build loadbearing) fire performance of strawbale
houses is similar to timber & frame constructions because of the similar
material (cellulose). Even our strawbale-wall-firetest (90 min. fire
resistance for a plastered strawbale wall) showed results that are similar to
other (insulated) timber and frame construction-fire tests, we know of. If you
are interested, I could send you a copy of the study of BRE, or you wait
#180#til it is published online.

Hannes Hohensinner wrote:
GrAT is going to continue offical testing and will apply for certificates in
sound insulation. Furthermore, with the errection of a demonstration building,
the
socalled S-House, next year, long term tests of all relevant parameters will
be started and the results of these tests will be disseminated, for example
through the
internet.

Hannes Hohensinner wrote:
As offical tests and certificates are very important to convince officals and
reduce prejudices we are planning to collect all available tests and
certificates and put
them on our homepage (www.grat.tuwien.ac.at) to make them available for all
straw bale builders.

I received copies of:
Bruce King:
Ecomaterials Paper

John Glassford:
PRELIMINARY TEST RESULTS STRAW BALE WALLS.

Mike Faine:
A Pilot Study examining the Strength, Compressibility and Serviceability of
Rendered Straw Bale Walls for Two Storey Load Bearing Construction.

Bye,
Andre

La Maison en Paille
Habitat Eco-Logique

Andre & Coralie de Bouter
Le Trezidoux
16290 Champmillon
Charente, France
Tel. (0)5 45 66 27 68

m.ep@...
www.la-maison-en-paille.com

There may be important message content

- --X-X-X-X-X-X--NeoPlanet-MIME-TEXTandHTML--X-X-X-X-X-X-X1711540-X-X

<<<<<< See above "Message Body" >>>>>>

- --X-X-X-X-X-X--NeoPlanet-MIME-TEXTandHTML--X-X-X-X-X-X-X1711540-X-X

<HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF>Hi everybody

Catherine Wanek wrote:

a relatively new SB "Flame spread and Smoked developed fire test" was done last year and
the results are very good. These have just been posted to the DCAT (Development Center
for Appropriate Technology) website at: <A
HREF=http://www.dcat.net >www.dcat.net
</A>so you can download them if needed

<A HREF=http://www.azstarnet.com/~dcat/ >http://www.azstarnet.com/~dcat/ </A>

Herbert Gruber wrote:

Concerning a full scale fire test for a straw bale building it was interesting for me to visit the
report and video-presentation of Dr. Vahik Enjily from the Centre for Timber Technology
and Construction, Building Research Establishment, UK (BRE: <A
HREF=http://www.bre.co.uk)>www.bre.co.uk)</A> in Vienna.

BRE built a six story timber and frame building in a hangar and made a lot of (full-scale-)fire
tests under regular circumstances. The results are gathered in a study and are very interesting,
I think.

Now I believe (even when you build loadbearing) fire performance of strawbale houses is
similar to timber & frame constructions because of the similar material (cellulose). Even our
strawbale-wall-firetest (90 min. fire resistance for a plastered strawbale wall) showed results
that are similar to other (insulated) timber and frame construction-fire tests, we know of. If
you are interested, I could send you a copy of the study of BRE, or you wait #180#til it is
published online.

Hannes Hohensinner wrote:

As offical tests and certificates are very important to convince officals and reduce prejudices
we are planning to collect all available tests and certificates and put

them on our homepage (<A
HREF=http://www.grat.tuwien.ac.at)>www.grat.tuwien.ac.at)</A> to make them available for all straw bale
builders.

<B>I received copies of:</B>

Bruce King:

Ecomaterials Paper

John Glassford:

PRELIMINARY TEST RESULTS STRAW BALE WALLS.

Mike Faine:

A Pilot Study examining the Strength, Compressibility and Serviceability of Rendered Straw
Bale Walls for Two Storey Load Bearing Construction.

Bye,

Andre</BODY></HTML>
  <HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF>La  Maison  en  Paille
 Habitat  Eco-Logique

 Andre  &amp  Coralie  de  Bouter
 Le  Trezidoux
 16290  Champmillon
 Charente,  France
 Tel.  (0)5  45  66  27  68

 <A HREF=mailto:m.ep@laposte.net>m.ep@...
 <A HREF=http://www.la-maison-en-paille.com>www.la-maison-en-paille.com</A>

- --X-X-X-X-X-X--NeoPlanet-MIME-TEXTandHTML--X-X-X-X-X-X-X1711540-X-X--