re: Re: GSBN:List of SB testing reports

Dear Mark,

Thanks a lot for the work you put into this. And thanks to the universe for placing you amongst the tools you needed;-)

> (Y'know, I find myself feeling more and more that none of this testing
> stuff really matters all that much. To me, anyway.)

I felt the same, before..... Before visiting California, and seeing the proffesionality there. In France owner builders can build as they like (as long as the outside looks ok). But compagnies seem to stay hesitent to pick up SB building until they can 'hide behind' a certification. I prefer everyone to build his/her own (sb) house, but it will take a long time before that happens. Besides, acceptence by the 'Paris Engingeers' can also take away a lot of fear for the future owner builder.

Thanks again,
Andre

> [...]
>
> Evaluation of a Straw Bale Composite Wall
> 1998, Bale Built Inc
> Contact Joe Allen, 208-799-1285
> Lots of info on a specific technique that uses a lot of steel, the likes of
> which I don't think has a lot to recommend it.
>
> Transverse Load Test and Small Scale E-119 Fire Test on Uncoated Straw Bale
> Wall Panels and Stucco Coated Straw Bale Wall Panels
> 1993, by SHB Agra, Inc
> Contact Catherine Wanek to purchase copies
>
> Straw Bale Exterior Pinning Report
> Undated, by Sustainability International
> Contact Bob Bolles to purchase copies - bbolles@...
> Engineering results on a rebar-exterior-pinning system which gained
> approval from the Tucson/Pima County building department.
>
> Fire Comparison Test of Straw-use Wall Systems
> 1997, by Birkani Architects
> Contact Erem Birkan to purchase copies - www.baleblock.com
> Not-particularly-scientific results of a planned fire involving a number of
> different wall systems.
>
> Summary of Results of a Structural Straw Bale Testing Program Based on a
> Master's Thesis by Ghailene Bou-Ali
> 1993, by David Eisenberg with Matts Myrhman and Judy Knox
> I think Catherine Wanek might sell these, or David Eisenberg
> The info on which was based the first SB code in the USA.
>
> The Thermal Insulating Value of Straw Bales for Construction
> 1993, by Joseph McCabe
> Contact Joe to purchase copies - energyi@...
> His master's thesis.
>
> Pilot Study of Moisture Control in Stuccoed Straw Bale Walls
> 1997, by Fibrehouse Limited
> Available from CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl
> A field examination of a number of aging Canadian strawbale structures.
>
> Strawbale Moisture Monitoring Report
> 1998, by Rob Jolly
> Available from CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl
> Good stuff that needs critical consideration by the reader.
>
> Moisture in Straw Bale Housing, Nova Scotia
> 1998, by S.H.E. Consultants
> Possibly available from CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl
> Moisture monitoring of Kim Thompson's pioneering SB house.
>
> Straw Bale Moisture Sensor Study
> undated, by unknown (perhaps Don Fugler himself, or Habib John Gonzalez)
> Possibly available from CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl
> Describes simple, low-cost moisture sensors for SB walls.
>
> Straw Bale Wall Hot Box Tests Results and Analysis
> undated, by Oak Ridge National Laboratory
> Contact ORNL http://www.ornl.gov
> Astonishingly bad R-value results revealing, among other things, that
> having air gaps between the plaster and bales can be mighty bad.
>
> Bale Wall Compression Testing Program
> Jeff Ruppert was in on this; I think it's the one he referenced
>
> Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Straw Bales as the Relate to a Straw House
> 1995, by TUNS
> I think this is one that Catherine Wanek sells
>
> Also see the TLS#31, the 2000 Resources issue, page 31 for additional
> listings. (Don't even bother with looking in TLS#35, 'cause it ain't there.

La Maison en Paille
Habitat Eco-Logique

Andre & Coralie de Bouter
Le Trezidoux