Re: GSBN:Nomination

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0" charset=""><HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 4/4/2002 10:42:02 AM US Mountain Standard Time, jc10508@...:

 <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In reviewing the GSBN member list, there seemed to be some regions having
 several members and others having only one or two.  I recently learned that
 Bruce Glenn, terra Sol Design &amp; Building, formerly in Colorado, recently
 relocated to Port Townsend, Washington.  Bruce has indicated an interest in
 being added to the GSBN list, so I'd like to nominate him for your
 consideration!
 </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE>
 </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">
 Just so Mark (Piepkorn) won't think he has sole claim to the gadfly badge, here are some ruminations that may provoke some, hopefully, constructive reflection.  And for the record, I have no reason to think that Bruce Glenn is not a fine human being and and an excellent builder.

 Reading Joyce's recent message, included above, has led me to reflect on what I think I remember to be the original, vaguely described, purpose of the GSBN.  That is, a way for a smallish number of people, representing the straw-bale communities or associations in countries (or regions of larger countries), to network with each other, acting as two-way hubs for the transfer of information, news of activities, requests for assistance, etc.  The members were to be people active "organizationally" as well as "professionally", the "movers and shakers" of the "revival", since the intent was not simply to create an insiders alternative to CREST's egalitarian, but often cluttered, strawbale list serve.

 Joyce's suggestion, that Bruce Glenn be added to the list, brought into focus for me two things.  The first is that the criteria being used to screen suggested additions (which we must do unless we chose to welcome all interested individuals), seems to have been gradually changing.  The idea that the members should be appropriate as "hubs", due to their activity "organizationally" or as "key players" in creation of educational resources, seems to have faded from memory.  Is that because we have simply forgotten the original intent, or because the criteria need to be changed, or because the purpose of the GSBN has gradually morphed into being mostly a way for "serious strawbalers" to pick each others brains in a more private way than the CREST listserve provides.  This access to the experience of other serious practitioners is clearly a major benefit of being a member, but is it largely an unintended benefit that has begun to overshadow the intended purpose of global infrastructural networking?

 If the original purpose still holds, and the criterium of "organizational / key player / mover and shaker" activity is still relevant, then I have no information about Bruce Glenn that make it appropriate for me to second his nomination.  If that criterium is no longer relevant, then Bruce and many other fine individuals that build straw-bale homes for people would seem to meet the remaining criterium of "professional" activity.  But if we chose to screen "nominated" individuals solely on the basis of this latter criterium, our membership will surely expand greatly and the role that the GSBN has played will surely shift further toward a listserve for insider brain-picking.
 If that is what makes sense, we should at least recognize it as a change that we wish to make.

 Now it's your turn to weigh in.  I'd especially appreciate getting some feedback from some of the "founding members" regarding my recollection of what the original intent of setting up the GSBN was, and whether they share my perception of a gradual change in the criteria that we as members are using to decide whether to nominate someone as an addition.  Maybe it's all going just the way it should, but I had to ask.

 Matts Myhrman / Judy Knox                        mattsmyhrman@...
 Out On  Bale, (un) Ltd.
 2509 N. Campbell Ave., #292                       judyknox42@...
 Tucson, AZ  85719