re: Re: GSBN:List of SB testing reports

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0" charset="">
<HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF>Hi everyone,

Here is the list of testing reports that Mark Piepkorn put together plus what I received from
other people. I did not add the info from TLS 31, figuring that Chris and Joyce will have
access to that in digital form.

Anyway, I'm of to Belgium in a few days to help Harald Wedig build a SB demonstration
project, ordered and payed for by the European Union. It will be buildt during GreenWeek in
the heart of Brussels, the beautiful city where the beer is good, the fries soft and greasy and
where that little guy (Maneke Pis) is taking a leak to amuse the tourists.

Greetings to you all,

Andre

A Straw Bales/Mortar House Demonstration Project

1986, by Louis Gagne

Available from CMHC <A HREF=http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/
>http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/
</A><A HREF=http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/en/rh-pr/tech/00-132_e.pdf >http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/en/rh-pr/tech/00-132_e.pdf </A>

<A HREF=http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/en/rh-pr/tech/00-103-e.htm >http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/en/rh-pr/tech/00-103-E.htm </A>

There are French translations of these summaries as well. You can browse for them under,
using the same reference numbers:
<A HREF=http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/fr/rh-pr/index.html >http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/fr/rh-pr/index.html </A>

Contains, among other things, results of a thermal-flow test that most

rational people seem to feel is flawed or jimmied. I'm not necessarily

rational, but I am skeptical of the report.

Developing and Proof-Testing the "Prestressed Nebraska" Method for Improved

Production of Bale Fibre Housing

1995, by Fibrehouse Limited with Scanada Consultants Limited

Available from CMHC <A HREF=http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/ >http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/ </A>

Some data from tests performed on the specific technique given in the title.

Setting the Standards for Straw Bale Construction

1998, by ?

Contact somebody from CASBA.

A summary of R-Value testing, including the most recent guarded hot box

tests on which the California Energy Commission based its nominal R-value

for SB.

Straw Bale Construction Research Project at Portland Community College

Ongoing, by PCC Engineering Technology Students and Volunteers

Contact Joanna Karl, <A HREF=mailto:jkarl@...>jkarl@...

Datalogging moisture levels in the walls.

Evaluation of a Straw Bale Composite Wall

1998, Bale Built Inc

Contact Joe Allen, 208-799-1285

Lots of info on a specific technique that uses a lot of steel, the likes of

which I don't think has a lot to recommend it.

Transverse Load Test and Small Scale E-119 Fire Test on Uncoated Straw Bale

Wall Panels and Stucco Coated Straw Bale Wall Panels

1993, by SHB Agra, Inc

Contact Catherine Wanek to purchase copies

Straw Bale Exterior Pinning Report

Undated, by Sustainability International

Contact Bob Bolles to purchase copies - <A HREF=mailto:bbolles@...>bbolles@...

Engineering results on a rebar-exterior-pinning system which gained

approval from the Tucson/Pima County building department.

Fire Comparison Test of Straw-use Wall Systems

1997, by Birkani Architects

Contact Erem Birkan to purchase copies - <A HREF=http://www.baleblock.com >www.baleblock.com </A>

Not-particularly-scientific results of a planned fire involving a number of

different wall systems.

Summary of Results of a Structural Straw Bale Testing Program Based on a

Master's Thesis by Ghailene Bou-Ali

1993, by David Eisenberg with Matts Myrhman and Judy Knox

I think Catherine Wanek might sell these, or David Eisenberg

The info on which was based the first SB code in the USA.

The Thermal Insulating Value of Straw Bales for Construction

1993, by Joseph McCabe

Contact Joe to purchase copies - <A HREF=mailto:energyi@...>energyi@...

His master's thesis.

Pilot Study of Moisture Control in Stuccoed Straw Bale Walls

1997, by Fibrehouse Limited

Available from CMHC <A HREF=http://www.cmhc-schl >http://www.cmhc-schl </A>

A field examination of a number of aging Canadian strawbale structures.

Strawbale Moisture Monitoring Report

1998, by Rob Jolly

Available from CMHC <A HREF=http://www.cmhc-schl >http://www.cmhc-schl </A>

or <A HREF=http://www.baubiologie.at/asbn/literatur.html
>http://www.baubiologie.at/asbn/literatur.html
</A>
Good stuff that needs critical consideration by the reader.

Moisture in Straw Bale Housing, Nova Scotia

1998, by S.H.E. Consultants

Possibly available from CMHC <A HREF=http://www.cmhc-schl >http://www.cmhc-schl </A>

Moisture monitoring of Kim Thompson's pioneering SB house.

Straw Bale Moisture Sensor Study

undated, by unknown (perhaps Don Fugler himself, or Habib John Gonzalez)

Possibly available from CMHC <A HREF=http://www.cmhc-schl >http://www.cmhc-schl </A>

Describes simple, low-cost moisture sensors for SB walls.

Straw Bale Wall Hot Box Tests Results and Analysis

undated, by Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Contact ORNL <A HREF=http://www.ornl.gov >http://www.ornl.gov </A>

Astonishingly bad R-value results revealing, among other things, that

having air gaps between the plaster and bales can be mighty bad.

Bale Wall Compression Testing Program

Jeff Ruppert was in on this; I think it's the one he referenced

Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Straw Bales as the Relate to a Straw House

1995, by TUNS

I think this is one that Catherine Wanek sells

Also see the TLS#31, the 2000 Resources issue, page 31 for additional

listings. (Don't even bother with looking in TLS#35, 'cause it ain't there.

"Updated and expanded" my ass.)

Herbert Gruber (Austria):
<A HREF=http://mha-net.org/msb/html/papers-n/strwmoist/strwmoist.htm >http://mha-net.org/msb/html/papers-n/strwmoist/strwmoist.htm </A>

<A HREF=http://www.ornl.gov/~roofs/strawbale/strawtest.html >http://www.ornl.gov/~roofs/StrawBale/strawtest.html </A>

Our project, financed by the Austrian Ministry for Traffic, Technology and

Innovation and in cooperation with GrAT (Group for Appropriate Technology at

the University of Technology in Vienna) is finished:

So the tests we made are available soon in original (I will tell you as far

as you can get the original tests).

Concerning a full scale fire test for a straw bale building it was interesting for me to visit the
report and video-presentation of Dr. Vahik Enjily from the Centre for Timber Technology
and Construction, Building Research Establishment, UK (BRE: <A HREF=http://www.bre.co.uk)>www.bre.co.uk)</A> in Vienna.

BRE built a six story timber and frame building in a hangar and made a lot of (full-scale-)fire
tests under regular circumstances. The results are gathered in a study and are very interesting,
I think.

Now I believe (even when you build loadbearing) fire performance of strawbale houses is
similar to timber & frame constructions because of the similar material (cellulose). Even our
strawbale-wall-firetest (90 min. fire resistance for a plastered strawbale wall) showed results
that are similar to other (insulated) timber and frame construction-fire tests, we know of. If
you are interested, I could send you a copy of the study of BRE, or you wait ´til it is
published online.

Hannes Hohensinner (Austria)

As offical tests and certificates are very important to convince officals and reduce prejudices
we are planning to collect all available tests and certificates and put

them on our homepage (<A HREF=http://www.grat.tuwien.ac.at)>www.grat.tuwien.ac.at)</A> to make them available for all straw bale
builders. Although at the moment the website is restructured and will be in the

net by end of this year, this e-mail is an invitation to all straw balers, who have already done
offical (and also inofficial) testing, to support our intentions and

send us informations about the tests and/or offical certificates.

John Glasford (Australia)

<B>
<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FACE="Times New Roman">PRELIMINARY TEST RESULTS STRAW BALE WALLS.

<I></FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FACE="Times New Roman">Authors:        John Carrick</B></I> <B><I>BE. M Eng Sci.

                Laboratory Manager

                Building Research Centre

                University of New South Wales

                22-32 King Street

                RANDWICK N.S.W. 2052        AUSTRALIA

</B></I>

<I>                John Glassford S.D.A. Edin. (Hons)

                Managing Director

                Huff'n'Puff Constructions

                'The Laurels'

                Moss Vale Road

                KANGAROO VALLEY N.S.W. 2577        AUSTRALIA

</I>

Mike Faine:

strawbale load test

These results were presented at the First International Ecological Building

Structures Conference held in San Francisco last July (2001)

Hope this may be of some interest to you, I will be doing some futher

research using an earth based render instead of a cement based render

shortly

Mike Faine" <<A HREF=mailto:mikefaine@bigpond.com>>mikefaine@bigpond.com></A>

John Straube(Canada) :

The vapor permeance and water absorption of a range of cement and lime

stuccos for SB are summarized in a Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corp report

you can get from them or download from my nascent website at

<A HREF=http://www.BuildingSolutions.ca >www.BuildingSolutions.ca </A>

under on-line publications

John Straube

Dept of Civil Engineering and School of Architecture

University of Waterloo

Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1 CANADA

Jolien van der Made(Holland):

Canadian Society of  Agricultural Engineering:

Thermal and Mechanical Porperties of Straw Bales as they Relate

to a Strw House; biological deterioration, insulating properties en strenght

properties.

Jolien <<A HREF=mailto:jostro@dds.nl>>jostro@dds.nl></A>

Bruce King:

The Ecomaterials paper, though in English, summarizes testting to date (Bruce sent me this
about a year ago)

Catherine Wanek:

I wonder if you have the New Mexico fire test results, of a successful 2-hour SB test to
ASTM standards... I could fax you the 5 or 7 pages if you need them right away.

Also, a relatively new SB "Flame spread and Smoked developed fire test" was done last year
and the results are very good. These have just been posted to the DCAT (Development
Center for Appropriate Technology) website at: <A HREF=http://www.dcat.net >www.dcat.net </A>so you can download them if
needed.

Lars Keller (Denmark)