-> re: Re: GSBN:List of SB testing reports
     by Andre de Bouter m.ep@...

Date: 9 Apr 2002 05:11:26 -0500
From: Andre de Bouter m.ep@...
Subject: re: Re: GSBN:List of SB testing reports

Hi everyone,

Here is the list of testing reports that Mark Piepkorn put together plus what
I received from other people. I did not add the info from TLS 31, figuring
that Chris and Joyce will have access to that in digital form.

Anyway, I'm of to Belgium in a few days to help Harald Wedig build a SB
demonstration project, ordered and payed for by the European Union. It will be
buildt during GreenWeek in the heart of Brussels, the beautiful city where the
beer is good, the fries soft and greasy and where that little guy (Maneke Pis)
is taking a leak to amuse the tourists.

Greetings to you all,
Andre

A Straw Bales/Mortar House Demonstration Project
1986, by Louis Gagne
Available from CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/en/rh-pr/tech/00-132_e.pdf
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/en/rh-pr/tech/00-103-E.htm
There are French translations of these summaries as well. You can browse for
them under, using the same reference numbers:
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publications/fr/rh-pr/index.html
Contains, among other things, results of a thermal-flow test that most
rational people seem to feel is flawed or jimmied. I'm not necessarily
rational, but I am skeptical of the report.

Developing and Proof-Testing the "Prestressed Nebraska" Method for Improved
Production of Bale Fibre Housing
1995, by Fibrehouse Limited with Scanada Consultants Limited
Available from CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/
Some data from tests performed on the specific technique given in the title.

Setting the Standards for Straw Bale Construction
1998, by ?
Contact somebody from CASBA.
A summary of R-Value testing, including the most recent guarded hot box
tests on which the California Energy Commission based its nominal R-value
for SB.

Straw Bale Construction Research Project at Portland Community College
Ongoing, by PCC Engineering Technology Students and Volunteers
Contact Joanna Karl, jkarl@...
Datalogging moisture levels in the walls.

Evaluation of a Straw Bale Composite Wall
1998, Bale Built Inc
Contact Joe Allen, 208-799-1285
Lots of info on a specific technique that uses a lot of steel, the likes of
which I don't think has a lot to recommend it.

Transverse Load Test and Small Scale E-119 Fire Test on Uncoated Straw Bale
Wall Panels and Stucco Coated Straw Bale Wall Panels
1993, by SHB Agra, Inc
Contact Catherine Wanek to purchase copies

Straw Bale Exterior Pinning Report
Undated, by Sustainability International
Contact Bob Bolles to purchase copies - bbolles@...
Engineering results on a rebar-exterior-pinning system which gained
approval from the Tucson/Pima County building department.

Fire Comparison Test of Straw-use Wall Systems
1997, by Birkani Architects
Contact Erem Birkan to purchase copies - www.baleblock.com
Not-particularly-scientific results of a planned fire involving a number of
different wall systems.

Summary of Results of a Structural Straw Bale Testing Program Based on a
Master's Thesis by Ghailene Bou-Ali
1993, by David Eisenberg with Matts Myrhman and Judy Knox
I think Catherine Wanek might sell these, or David Eisenberg
The info on which was based the first SB code in the USA.

The Thermal Insulating Value of Straw Bales for Construction
1993, by Joseph McCabe
Contact Joe to purchase copies - energyi@...
His master's thesis.

Pilot Study of Moisture Control in Stuccoed Straw Bale Walls
1997, by Fibrehouse Limited
Available from CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl
A field examination of a number of aging Canadian strawbale structures.

Strawbale Moisture Monitoring Report
1998, by Rob Jolly
Available from CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl
or http://www.baubiologie.at/asbn/literatur.html
Good stuff that needs critical consideration by the reader.

Moisture in Straw Bale Housing, Nova Scotia
1998, by S.H.E. Consultants
Possibly available from CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl
Moisture monitoring of Kim Thompson's pioneering SB house.

Straw Bale Moisture Sensor Study
undated, by unknown (perhaps Don Fugler himself, or Habib John Gonzalez)
Possibly available from CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl
Describes simple, low-cost moisture sensors for SB walls.

Straw Bale Wall Hot Box Tests Results and Analysis
undated, by Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Contact ORNL http://www.ornl.gov
Astonishingly bad R-value results revealing, among other things, that
having air gaps between the plaster and bales can be mighty bad.

Bale Wall Compression Testing Program
Jeff Ruppert was in on this; I think it's the one he referenced

Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Straw Bales as the Relate to a Straw
House
1995, by TUNS
I think this is one that Catherine Wanek sells

Also see the TLS#31, the 2000 Resources issue, page 31 for additional
listings. (Don't even bother with looking in TLS#35, 'cause it ain't there.
"Updated and expanded" my ass.)
Herbert Gruber (Austria):
http://mha-net.org/msb/html/papers-n/strwmoist/strwmoist.htm
http://www.ornl.gov/~roofs/StrawBale/strawtest.html

Our project, financed by the Austrian Ministry for Traffic, Technology and
Innovation and in cooperation with GrAT (Group for Appropriate Technology at
the University of Technology in Vienna) is finished:
So the tests we made are available soon in original (I will tell you as far
as you can get the original tests).

Concerning a full scale fire test for a straw bale building it was interesting
for me to visit the report and video-presentation of Dr. Vahik Enjily from the
Centre for Timber Technology and Construction, Building Research
Establishment, UK (BRE: www.bre.co.uk) in Vienna.
BRE built a six story timber and frame building in a hangar and made a lot of
(full-scale-)fire tests under regular circumstances. The results are gathered
in a study and are very interesting, I think.
Now I believe (even when you build loadbearing) fire performance of strawbale
houses is similar to timber & frame constructions because of the similar
material (cellulose). Even our strawbale-wall-firetest (90 min. fire
resistance for a plastered strawbale wall) showed results that are similar to
other (insulated) timber and frame construction-fire tests, we know of. If you
are interested, I could send you a copy of the study of BRE, or you wait
#180#til it is published online.
Hannes Hohensinner (Austria)
As offical tests and certificates are very important to convince officals and
reduce prejudices we are planning to collect all available tests and
certificates and put
them on our homepage (www.grat.tuwien.ac.at) to make them available for all
straw bale builders. Although at the moment the website is restructured and
will be in the
net by end of this year, this e-mail is an invitation to all straw balers, who
have already done offical (and also inofficial) testing, to support our
intentions and
send us informations about the tests and/or offical certificates.
John Glasford (Australia)
PRELIMINARY TEST RESULTS STRAW BALE WALLS.
Authors:	John Carrick BE. M Eng Sci.
		Laboratory Manager
		Building Research Centre
		University of New South Wales
		22-32 King Street
		RANDWICK N.S.W. 2052	AUSTRALIA

		John Glassford S.D.A. Edin. (Hons)
		Managing Director
		Huff'n'Puff Constructions
		'The Laurels'
		Moss Vale Road
		KANGAROO VALLEY N.S.W. 2577	AUSTRALIA

Mike Faine:
strawbale load test
These results were presented at the First International Ecological Building
Structures Conference held in San Francisco last July (2001)
Hope this may be of some interest to you, I will be doing some futher
research using an earth based render instead of a cement based render
shortly
Mike Faine" mikefaine@...
John Straube(Canada) :
The vapor permeance and water absorption of a range of cement and lime
stuccos for SB are summarized in a Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corp report
you can get from them or download from my nascent website at
www.BuildingSolutions.ca

under on-line publications
John Straube
Dept of Civil Engineering and School of Architecture
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1 CANADA
Jolien van der Made(Holland):
Canadian Society of  Agricultural Engineering:
Thermal and Mechanical Porperties of Straw Bales as they Relate
to a Strw House; biological deterioration, insulating properties en strenght
properties.
Jolien jostro@...
Bruce King:
The Ecomaterials paper, though in English, summarizes testting to date (Bruce
sent me this about a year ago)
Catherine Wanek:
I wonder if you have the New Mexico fire test results, of a successful 2-hour
SB test to ASTM standards... I could fax you the 5 or 7 pages if you need them
right away.

Also, a relatively new SB "Flame spread and Smoked developed fire test" was
done last year and the results are very good. These have just been posted to
the DCAT (Development Center for Appropriate Technology) website at:
www.dcat.net so you can download them if needed.
Lars Keller (Denmark)