-> Re: [Fwd: GSBN:Nomination]
     by Chris Stafford stafford@...

Date: 14 Apr 2002 23:16:19 -0500
From: Chris Stafford stafford@...
Subject: Re: [Fwd: GSBN:Nomination]

Thank you Matts & Judy. My love to you both. You described beautifully
my recollection of why  GSBN began and the purpose of its members. This
reply is not going to say we stay as originally conceived or change to
something else, but I do think that until GSNB members agree to a change
we need to follow the original concept.

This is how the question of Bruce Glenn's nomination can be handled.
Over the last several years I have been less and less involved in
regional straw bale work and have lost track of who is doing what around
here. The way my life and work is changing that will surely continue. I
will be happy to step aside and let Bruce be the Northwest's GSBN
representative.

Since Bruce moved here, Pt. Townsend is my home town too, he has worked
hard in the region to meet its straw balers while actively promoting
alternative and straw bale building. We are in touch on a fairly regular
basis, sharing ideas or asking for help. He will be a excellent
representative as long as he knows that is what he is signing up for. I
hardily recommend him for the list.

Best wishes to you all,

Chris

> [...]
> on what I think I remember to be the original, vaguely described,
> purpose of the GSBN.  That is, a way for a smallish number of people,
> representing the straw-bale communities or associations in countries
> (or regions of larger countries), to network with each other, acting
> as two-way hubs for the transfer of information, news of activities,
> requests for assistance, etc.  The members were to be people active
> "organizationally" as well as "professionally", the "movers and
> shakers" of the "revival", since the intent was not simply to create
> an insiders alternative to CREST's egalitarian, but often cluttered,
> strawbale list serve.
>
> Joyce's suggestion, that Bruce Glenn be added to the list, brought
> into focus for me two things.  The first is that the criteria being
> used to screen suggested additions (which we must do unless we chose
> to welcome all interested individuals), seems to have been gradually
> changing.  The idea that the members should be appropriate as "hubs",
> due to their activity "organizationally" or as "key players" in
> creation of educational resources, seems to have faded from memory.
> Is that because we have simply forgotten the original intent, or
> because the criteria need to be changed, or because the purpose of the
> GSBN has gradually morphed into being mostly a way for "serious
> strawbalers" to pick each others brains in a more private way than the
> CREST listserve provides.  T his access to the experience of other
> serious practitioners is clearly a major benefit of being a member,
> but is it largely an unintended benefit that has begun to overshadow
> the intended purpose of global infrastructural networking?
>
> If the original purpose still holds, and the criterium of
> "organizational / key player / mover and shaker" activity is still
> relevant, then I have no information about Bruce Glenn that make it
> appropriate for me to second his nomination.  If that criterium is no
> longer relevant, then Bruce and many other fine individuals that build
> straw-bale homes for people would seem to meet the remaining criterium
> of "professional" activity.  But if we chose to screen "nominated"
> individuals solely on the basis of this latter criterium, our
> membership will surely expand greatly and the role that the GSBN has
> played will surely shift further toward a listserve for insider
> brain-picking.
> If that is what makes sense, we should at least recognize it as a
> change that we wish to make.
>
> Now it's your turn to weigh in.  I'd especially appreciate getting
> some feedback from some of the "founding members" regarding my
> recollection of what the original intent of setting up the GSBN was,
> and whether they share my perception of a gradual change in the
> criteria that we as members are using to decide whether to nominate
> someone as an addition.  Maybe it's all going just the way it should,

There may be important message content

- --------------8D54B00A5B1993B460E5A3D2

<<<<<< See above "Message Body" >>>>>>

- --------------8D54B00A5B1993B460E5A3D2

Thank you Matts &amp; Judy. My love to you both. You described beautifully
[...]
<hr WIDTH="90%" SIZE=4>
10:42:02 AM US Mountain Standard Time, jc10508@...
writes:</font></font>

MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><font face="arial,helvetica"><font
size=-1>In
reviewing the GSBN member list, there seemed to be some regions
having</font></font>
having only one or two.  I recently learned that</font></font>
&amp; Building, formerly in Colorado, recently</font></font>
Washington.  Bruce has indicated an interest in</font></font>
list, so I'd like to nominate him for your</font></font>
/ Judy
Knox
Ave.,

- --------------8D54B00A5B1993B460E5A3D2--