-> Compact/Inexpensive Temperature & Relative Humidity Sensor
     by "Rob Tom" rw_tom@...

Date: 3 May 2002 11:40:08 -0500
From: "Rob Tom" rw_tom@...
Subject: Compact/Inexpensive Temperature & Relative Humidity Sensor

This item might be of interest to the gizmologists/FungalFans amongst us.

>From a cursory glance, it looks like a simple, reliable, inexpensive design
which will allow one to acquire accurate, simultaneous temperature &
relative humidity readings from a herd of locations (ie @ the inside &
outside skins of a SB wall and any number of points in between), something
that heretofore had required our friends in the SB community [ie Shawna
Henderson (aka the SeaBale Hag-with-the-amazing-spore-sniffing-snout), Habib
Gonzalez (mad bush pilot/ringleader of the Merry Mud Men) , (the
sartorially-resplendent) Rob Jolly]  a whole lot of futzing around in order
to accomplish in their moisture-monitoring/data-gathering adventures back in
the Olde Days of the previous millennium.

The individual, multi-function sensors appear to be no bigger than the tip
of a pen and it appears that a hundred or more of them can be controlled by
a ~$30 integrated circuit which then takes all the info and sends it to
one's computer so that it can do the book-keeping. It may even make peanut
butter and banana sandwiches too for all I know ?

And I'll bet that a hard-core gizmologist like the Derelict-in-the-Rough
could find a way to cannibalise the platinum sensor parts from any one of
the old 486's that he's using for doorstops. Me ? I have trouble just
reading a thermometer.