-> Re: GSBN:Fwd: Earthships and pollution
     by Mark Piepkorn duckchow@...

Date: 7 Aug 2002 11:20:28 -0500
From: Mark Piepkorn duckchow@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: Earthships and pollution

At 03:26 PM 8/6/02, Catherine Wanek forwarded a message from Carol Venolia:
>>I've been asked to respond to a question by a Natural Home reader about
>>whether the tires in Earthships cause problems to the indoor air or the
>>surroundings. I have my gut feelings about this (don't want to take the
>>chance), but have any of you heard of either meaningful anecdotal evidence
>>or studies on this subject? Do you know anything about the composition or
>>chemical stability of tires in general?

         Some chemically-sensitive people (and others with sensitive
sniffers) have said that they reacted with (or smelled) something in
Earthships they'd visited. Personally, I've been fine in all of them that
I've been to, but then I'm not particularly sensitive, or even self-aware.
There was one that was pretty stinky (folks from the '99 European SB
Caravan know whereof I speak), but I think that was their greywater system.

         The one time I met Michael Reynolds, I didn't ask him about
offgassing; and the response to an unexpected email I received from him
three or four years ago went unanswered, so we never struck up any
cyberconversations.

         Earthship proponents are understandably sensitive about offgassing
- - emotionally, rather than physically - and they have something to say, of
course. Principally, they point out that "it's never happened." Nobody's
ever gotten sick in an Earthship, they say. Then they continue by pointing
out that tires finish their offgassing in short order - sometimes before
they even make it onto a car - and that any subsequent offgassing is caused
by photodegradation... whereupon they note, of course, that the tires in
Earthships are  1) used, and  2) plastered, which not only prevents light
from reaching them, but also prevents any gasses from moving into the
living area.

         As the piece de resistance, they serve up a study done at the
University of Wisconsin in Madison in the mid '90s. Now, I haven't seen the
study myself, but I'm given the impression (by the Earthship people) that
it climbs all over itself showing that used tires are magical: They're not
only in no way a toxic material, but they actually *absorb* gasses. Golly.

         OK, now that I've written that, I went and did a websearch. Check
the page at http://www.earthship.org/news/wmview.php?ArtID=5 for a whole
whack of anti-tire-gas denunciation based on that study, which it cites by
name, number, and contact info... something entirely too rare not only on
the web, but in natural and alternative building literature in general.
Three cheers for little getting-it-rights! (I mean, Mr. Anecdotal certainly
made proper citations in the first paragraph of this email... grin...) The
webpage indicates that it includes the first page of the study, which makes
me think that the study must have been printed on poster-sized paper.
You'll see what I mean.

         John Schinnerer (
http://eco-living.net/writings/shelter/natbldg1.html ) wrote in '97 to the
ESSA list, "It's called 'Selected Publications on Use of scrap tires in
civil and environmental construction,' Environmental Geotechnics Report no.
95-2; May 10, 1995. The address for inquiries is:
University of Wisconsin at Madison, Geotechnical Engineering Program, Dept.
of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Wisconsin - Madison,
Madison Wisconsin 53706. This is not light or even medium reading - it's
ten or so various research reports on uses of scrap tires with charts,
diagrams, tables, lots of big words and overly complicated ways of saying
simple things. The good side of this is that it's very impressive-looking
as an attitude adjustment tool for bureaucratic organizations and
individuals whose world view is bent out of shape by the idea of using old
tires in the building of a dwelling." (
http://csf.colorado.edu/forums/essa/jan97/0132.html ) That quotation ended
with the kind of sad commentary on building-officialdom that David
Eisenberg could get a good laugh out of, didn't it?

         New to me, as a result of the websearch I just did, is something
from an MCS author (in which some character named Venolia is cited) briefly
referencing Earthships as healthful... but the mention is glancing and
there doesn't seem to be any indication that it's based on first-hand
experience. See http://www.anoumirkine.com/chapter3.htm

         Finally, here's a typical rant from an Earthship
builder/consultant in Canada - http://www.ecodesign.bc.ca/f3mark.htm . The
tone sounds an awful lot like most defenses of any given material or method
by any given proponent of it. (Not all, most.)

         There seems to be a much higher amount of defensive material
floating around out there about tire-offgassing in Earthships than there
are indictments, or even incitements. Does that mean it's not a potential
problem? I don't think so. I think, like anything, it's situational...
depends on the person, the place, the confluence of details. Cedar Rose
once said that the most toxic house she'd ever been in was a strawbale
house: because of just about everything but the straw. SB is, of course,
widely touted to be noninjurious. And - done right - it is. Maybe
Earthships are like that, too.

         A person with MCS considering an Earthship should do the smart
thing (provided they're able to travel)... visit as many as possible,
staying in them overnight and more - or at least dawdling for as many hours
as they can get away with.

         Meanwhile, an awful lot of drinking water is being delivered to
our taps through PVC pipes...

*