GSBN:A TLS Update

Hello GSBNers!

After a long and crazy summer of building, I thought I would check in with
you all about the next couple issues of TLS and, of course, to bug and
pester you for your thoughts, input, and kind-hearted kicks in the rear!

Next up is Issue #40 (deadline October 1). If you look at the issue number
(I repeat, #40) and then consider the quarterly nature of TLS, you'll
quickly deduce that this is the 10 Anniversary issue of the journal! There
are a couple celebratory articles in the making, but if you have any ideas
or thoughts you'd like to share on TLS turning 10 (or if you'd like to take
advantage of the decade mark to profoundly comment on the past ten years or
to cast your eyes forward ten years), please let me know.

The theme for the issue is "Red Tape" and the feature articles are intended
to share experiences in regard to dealing with the various bureacracies
that involve themselves in the building process (lenders, insurers,
building departments, etc). I'd like to combine some personal
stories/direct experiences (both positive and negative) with articles that
outline ways in which sb builders can make their lives easier and cut
through some of the red tape. If you have direct experiences you'd like to
share, or have pertinent comments, or would like to steer me toward
interesting stories along these lines, I'd be glad to hear from you.

The following issue (#41, for those without calculators immediately at
hand) is themed "What's the Cost?" and will focus on bugetting and cost
issues (deadline Jan 1). At the heart of the issue, I'd like to try to
publish some actual project budgets, hopefully covering the spectrum from
ultra-cheap to super-expensive, with the intent being to help prospective
builders see where the costs are really incurred. Obviously, each budget is
for a unique building, but I'm hoping that by publishing a few actual
budgets (3-5?) a reader can compare and contrast and then use the info to
steer themselves accordingly. So, if you've been involved with a project in
which costs were well documented, and the people involved would be open to
publishing those figures (it could be done anonymously), please let me
know. Supporting articles would include cost savings tips, labour issues,
fees (an article from a professional builder or arch/eng on why it pays to
pay you well!), new materials, the cost comparisons of salvaging materials
vs. new stuff, and different takes on "cost" ie, money vs. environment,
time vs. money, etc.

Most of the direct email I've been getting since I've started editing
mentions the value to readers of the "Project Pages" and the new
materials/techniques sections of the journal. So please, keep sending along
tips about interesting projects to feature and new stuff you're working
with.

Well, thanks for listening, and hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers,

Chris

613-473-1718
http://www.strawhomes.ca