GSBN:CertainTeed update (boycotts unnecessary)

Hi folks,

Thanks for your overwhelming response. We *definitely* got their attention. When the CertainTeed folks called us on Tuesday AM, they were backpedalling at a pretty good pace. They were amazed at the both the quantity and quality of the responses. Thank you all for your help.

It appears that CertainTeed has an actual case against Boise Cascade, who this spring began using the same phrase for some of their own products. That case is going to court, and CertainTeed is covering their butts by making sure that any other use of the phrase is either stamped out or used with their permission.

Still, their hired-gun lawyers got a little overzealous. I've learned since my original post that they also went after a Canadian website (buildingsolutions.ca), among others over which US Trademark law has no jurisdiction.

We're on the way to working it all out without resorting to the courts.

4. Their claim may be groundless since it does not pertain to your entire use of the term.

5. Check your lawyer to see if you have grounds for a strategic counter-suit of some kind.

I agree with both those points, but I'm not really interested in fighting such a battle. It's just a couple of words in a heading on our website, and those can be changed without much harm if there's really a problem.

6. Why not put in quotes for now your term "Green Building Solutions." This would emphasize its use in the whole, by not separating Green from Building Solutions.

right, or I can write GreenBuilding Solutions, which is probably even safer. I didn't do that immediately because I, like many of you, felt that CertainTeed was out of order for such a ridiculous demand.

CertainTeed now is aware of the strength of the green building community. And they're aware of our perception of them and their legal team. They're trying to make nice, because they realize it could be a PR nightmare if they don't.

I'm trying to figure a way to make this into a win-win (instead of a "go away and leave us alone"), but it's difficult to do with a company whose major product line revolves around PVC.