GSBN:His Majesty's Lime Tests

on Tue, 17 Sep 2002
Bruce, King  of Sausalito ecobruce@... wrote:
re: straw bale test program

an update of the straw bale test program
has just been put up on the website

www.ecobuildnetwork.org

Your High!-ness and fellow Green Subjects;

Thank you for filling in we non-enginoidal plebes and peasants on your test results.

I haven't fully read the entire page containing the test results yet but I found the plaster test data to be (as Sergeant Schultz would say) "ve-e-e-e-ry interestink" (and surprising).

Who'da thunk that earthen plasters would out-perform the lime plaster samples in all of the compression tests ? Soitenly not me.

About the lime plaster in particular:

I am not familiar with the proprietary lime product used (Chemstar high calcium hydrated lime, presumably an Murrican product ?) but from the brief description of the recipe, it *sounds* very much as though the mixture was something akin to the pointing and setting mortar that a brick mason might use (ie where the lime content functions primarily as a plasticiser to make the Portland cement/sand mixture workable and the mortar becomes a weaker material than if the lime were omitted) as opposed to the reverted-back-to-limestone material that would result from a lime putty (made from slaked quicklime or carbide lime (which I gather to be similar ?)

I seem to recall one or more of the lime experts (I've copied one, Harry Francis, on this message in the hopes that he will offer some insights) mentioning that most bagged lime concoctions begin losing their carbonation potential from the moment they are manufactured and it goes downhill from there.

I'm wondering if this may have been the case for the test samples... ie the recipe used may not have been the optimal one to present lime's capabilities in a favourable light (ie similar to the ones which would be used to produce those miraculous historical lime plasters that we hear about the Euro-peein's having produced ?)

Can somebody 'splain eet to me ?

(I hope that the above won't be construed as nit-picking, but rather, just as a curious nit, wondering.)

 --- * ---
Robert W. Tom
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
rw_tom@...