-> Re: GSBN:His Majesty's Lime Tests
     by Athena & Bill Steen absteen@...
-> Re: GSBN:straw bale test program
     by Huff 'n' Puff Constructions huffnpuff@...

Date: 19 Sep 2002 00:10:08 -0500
From: Athena & Bill Steen absteen@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:His Majesty's Lime Tests

as they say, something seems awfully out of wack.  if you told me that
the earth plaster out-performed by just a little bit and that the
results were somewhat close, you might have gotten me to think about it
and scratch my head.  but that much difference I have trouble
swallowing.  after looking at the results, I realized that I just
happened to have two plaster samples on hand, one that duplicated the 1
1 6 lime, cement, sand mix and the other a clay plaster with lots of
straw that approximates the mix used in the tests.  so as to avoid the
next question, the lime in the sample was Chemstar. not having any
sophisticated, nor unsophisticated lever arms hanging around the yard to
exert pressure on the samples, I was forced to devise my own
methadology.  in that I had ruled out any possibility of an exact
measurement, I grabbed my trusty hammer sized sledge and went to work.
I'll give you three guesses as to what happened.  didn't take me long to
pulverize the clay sample, and as for the cement lime piece, it cracked
into pieces, but it didn't do anything resembling what one might
describe as being crushed.

I believe that clay plasters can give decent results, possibly better
than might be expected, but if you try to tell me that they surpassed
cement lime when it comes to compression, I would have to say that
somebody ought to repeat them.  in fact, since I still have a few
duplicate samples lying around, I think I'll have another go at it
tomorrow.

so what happened in the tests? your guess is as good as mine.  I think
John Glassford and Bob Bolles paid off Tim Kennedy, who is running the
tests for Bruce, to do a little sabotage.  I don't have any hard
evidence, but with a little investigative work I would suspect we could
dig up a little.

B...