Re: GSBN:Re: STC of Straw bales

Bruce, Tom

There is a chance that we will be doing a test here regarding the SB acoustic insulation value. The test if executed will be in a test facillity at the Eindhoven University normally used to test window frames so I expect that the measured values will till how well the test facilty functions. I am sure that a properly executed SB wall has excellent sound insulation properties far exceeding normal brick walls. What are STC numbers? We don't use this qualification here. BTW the test will incorporate a spectral distribution.

At 12:22 AM 10/15/02, you wrote:
> I recall there was some discussion of SB sound transmission on the
> list some time ago, including anecdotal evidence provided by the
> Straw Wolf's rock band or some such.  Anyone have any solid numbers
> for Katie?  Failing that, anyone have any good stories to tell? ;-)

To my knowledge, no formal tests have been done to provide STC numbers at
various sound frequency levels (such as building engineers sometimes need).
We all know they're mighty quiet, and that it's hard to shout through a wall
to someone on the other side, but don't have the exact geek numbers as yet.

Or, if someone does, I would very much appreciate learning of it, as the
culmination of the EBNet test program aims to be a compilation of ALL
testing of ALL sorts done to date - by EBNet or by others.

Greetings,

Rene Dalmeijer