Re: GSBN:Re: STC of Straw bales

Hi,

In France there is a vicous rumour going arround that SB walls are a poor
sound insulator. Arnaud Cauwel wrote a report for his school of architecture
in which he claimed that straw (because of its low mass) insulates poorly.
No numbers or test data is given.

Lars informed me on the Danish sound test some while ago, and specifficly
stated that I cannot quote him since the info is not official yet.
However I think it is safe to say that the result of the test was probably
greatly influenced by the post and beam structure and that the results were
not very impressive (for as far as I can understand them :-) 'cause the
universe of sound is complex thing. I feel that a beam (to carry the floor
for instance) that goes through the inside plaster and sits on the ring beam
would probably give a great transmission of sound to the outside plaster
just next to the ring beam, circumventing the 90% of the SB wall.

And than there is the question of indoor accoustics. Friends of us want to
build a SB Art & concert hall, so they are also concerned about how the
sound will be for the audience and what we can do to enhance that quality
with the shape and surface of the walls.  Any hints?

Bye
Andre
www.la-maison-en-paille.com