-> Re: [Strawbale] Mold
     by "Rob Tom" rw_tom@...

Date: 18 Nov 2002 18:09:20 -0600
From: "Rob Tom" rw_tom@...
Subject: Re: [Strawbale] Mold

Lloyd and FungalFans;

While it is true that wet straw is an ideal host for the deadly black mould
stachybotrys atra (known baby killer via pulmonary haemorrhaging) and other
less deadly ones, there are also thousands of non-strawbale buildings in
North America which are suffering from severe mould problems.

The common denominator is poor or non-existent detailing to minimise
moisture entry (don't let the walls get wet) and/or a lack of means to allow
drainage & drying should the walls get wet (wetting regime exceeds net
drying regime).

If you've not already added the following to your reperatoire of
strawbalenalia :

     "Pilot Study of Moisture Control in Stuccoed Straw Bale Walls"
      (report to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. June 1997)

it's available on the WWWeb at:

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/imquaf/hehosu/stbawa/stbawa_001.cfm

  --- * ---
Robert W. Tom