-> Re: GSBN:list of the members
     by Athena & Bill Steen absteen@...

Date: 1 Jan 2003 11:49:37 -0600
From: Athena & Bill Steen absteen@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:list of the members

Jeff,
A few things strike me after looking at the tests.  The first is that
the ratio of fines/aggregate to clay is really, really, really high.
Unless the fines have a lot more clay than anyone suspects.  I think
this is significant in that when making a comparison to what we use.
If there are no fibers added, I would say that a ratio of 1 clay to 3
sand for a thickness of 1/4 inch would be the most I would ever
consider.  If that thickness is reduced to 1/8 inch, we rarely go more
than 1 clay to 1 1/2 sand.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, when
we do a high straw mix, the sand is usually held to half the clay
amount.  For example, a mix might be 3 straw, 2 1/2 clay to 1 1/4 sand.
  As I remember without going back to your site, the ratio was something
like 1 clay to 13 fines.  That tells me is has to be quite weak and
that the wheat paste is doing a lot of the work instead of the clay.
Why both manure and poly fibers?  A couple of thoughts - the wheat
paste is really weather susceptible, if you need a glue, casein
activated with lime acts a whole lot better - no comparison.  A little
linseed oil makes it even better.  I would like to discuss it with you
more when you have time.

Bill

On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 10:53 AM, Jeff Ruppert wrote:

> Fellow Baleheads,
>
> It has been awhile since I made a contribution to this group.  Just
> wanted
> to show you a small test and an example of a finished product using
> earthen
> plasters.  This is not our own mix.  We had the testing done by a
> friend and
> are posting the info for your enjoyment.  We want to promote the use of
> earthen plasters and this is our first step in that direction.  Please
> comment in any way on what you see.  The info is at:
>
> http://www.odiseanet.com/eplaster.htm
>
> Jeff Ruppert, P.E.
> Odisea Engineering, Planning and Consulting
> 2241 17th St.
> Boulder, CO  80304
> 303.443.4335
> 303.443.4355 fax

[...]