Re: GSBN:Jeff Ruppert and clay tests

Happy New year all,

OK, I've been waiting until I had enough time to weigh in on the clay chat,
but that may never happen so here is a rushed response. Hopefully I'll
follow up sooner or later with more detail and questions.

most importantly, Paul, or anyone else who wants to, if you are going to
send cubes also send 6 bricks 2x2x8in. that way we can also test for modulus
of rupture.

we've tried (on buildings) 20 different mixes of earth based plaster and
more than 15 soil types and we're still pretty low on the curve. We used to
add up to 1 part lime per clay but because of the variability in how it
performed with different soils. We have moved to using either lime or earth
plaster or lime plaster. though we tend, like many of you to add a top lime
coat on the exterior of our earth plaster. Recently I was afforded an
opportunity take apart some of these assemblies. (more on that later) most
notably the earth to lime connection was the week link and I would assume
extreme weather would like to pop the thin lime coat off. for this reason
(and the mold that Paul mentioned) I am interested in getting a small amount
of lime into the mix and work it to the surface then scratch so that I might
have a better chance of getting a lasting bond. I have not noticed much
degradation of the brick clays but site soils do all kinds of things that I
don't fully get yet.

After working with the lime-earth plasters at 1:1 I feel we are actually
making a weak Lime plaster rather than a stranger earth plaster - that's why
we're testing it. I have cast samples of a 10% lime in earth mix and a 50%
lime in earth mix which we will break this month as part of the EBNet
testing program. We are also sending samples of each mix to John Straube to
measure the permeability. (Bruce, we were mixing them for John and decided
to cast cubes as a bonus). Also, Paul, what lime are you using and how are
you preparing it?

We have also been working with crusher fines of late (the same source that
is used for most rammed earth in Northern California). we have been able to
make a good mix with adding only small amounts of brick clay and a healthy
amount of straw. My main concern is determining the silt content of the
fines because I think the bulk of the silt in the fines masquerades as clay.
we've been happiest with two mixes: 4 crusher fines, 1 brick clay, 2 sand, 3
chopped straw; for sprayed plaster, and 6 crusher fines, 1 brick clay, and
3-4 long straw, for one coat hand applied mixes or for cob. We mix both in
our 10 yd horizontal silage mixer (we bought the smaller one) and the second
mix we just through whole bales in and it chops it pretty well.

I have done cylinder tests of the second mix that show a possible 400 psi. I
am about to test it more formally because we may have had too much local
containment on the cylinders.

For those of you who want to submit "food for Jaws", we will be happy to
accept them and test them if we can but no guarantees.

I feel that the Earth plaster that we are using in the testing program is
fairly weak though not unrepresentative of what I've seen. As Bill and
Athena noted when they were out it is fairly silty as are most of our clay's
in CA. As the King has intended we should have a fairly simple protocol for
testing any earth plaster when we're done and that's what's really exiting
to me.

more later...

be well,

tim