Re: GSBN:mesh reinforcing for earth plasters

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0" charset=""><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Bruce,

Another mesh idea you proposed to me at one time was fish netting. Haven't
had an occasion to try it, but you should be able to find plenty new or used
in the Bay Area.

Chris

Lars Keller wrote:
 cite="mid20030107224036.JVPP3799.fepA.post.tele.dk@fepK.im.tele.dk">
  <pre wrap="">One of the easily accessible, nonexpensive meshes we use, is the pp-mesh used to wrap the roundbales. When you can find the strawbale you can oftenmost find the mesh as well.

Lars Keller

~~~

Bruce King <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:ecobruce@sbcglobal.net";>ecobruce@...</a> wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">
G'Day  Baleheads -

Here in sunny Califronia, we are very much in the heat of
the straw bale
test program, and have encountered a small problem that we
hope some of
y'all can help with.

We are determined to devise an earthen-plastered straw bale
wall that can be
used even in high seismic/strict building code areas like
San Francisco.
Even with plenty of straw or other fibers in the plaster
mix, however, we
cannot make it work without some sort of straps or mesh
reinforcing tying
the top plate across the wall to the foundation.  We have
investigated a
number of lightweight plastic meshes, and a number of coir
and hemp meshes,
and pretty much ruled out metal mesh because it will
presumably corrode
pretty fast in the earthen plaster.

The coir and hemp meshes didn't work because they were too
fuzzy and too
tightly woven to allow the plaster to be applied through
them onto the bale
wall.  We cannot just lay them over a base plaster coat and
then plaster
again over that, as they need to be anchored at the
foundation.

Ideally, someone can help us locate a plastic, hemp, coir or
other natural
fiber mesh that is open enough to plaster through, is
readily available (or
at least not TOO hard to get), and has some reasonable
amount of strength.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated - please hit the
old "Reply to all"
button if you do have an idea, and send it asap.

thanks,

Bruce King, PE
Director, Ecological Building Network
209 Caledonia St.
Sausalito, CA 94965
(415) 331-7630
fax 332-4072
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org";>www.ecobuildnetwork.org</a>
bruce@ ecobuildnetwork.org

----
For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the
GSBN list, send email to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>GSBN@... with
HELP in the SUBJECT line.
----

    </pre>