Re: [SB-r-us] Re: GSBN:netting, fibers, geotextiles, etc.

Okay Bill,
Try this hank of rope on for size: Coir net made similar to cargo net - i.e.
tied at each junction. This would be somewhat like the 2x2 welded steel wire
mesh we currently use with stucco - i.e. not woven but fastened at each
junction. Determine the knot strength of the coir twine or rope and select both
a rope size and a grid spacing that would yield an appropriate design strength.
Figure out an attachment schedule that wouldn't compromise the strength. And so
on and so fourth.

In doing a web search all the coir netting I found (intended for erosion
control) looked to be too fine a mesh and too easily deformed in plane. However
there is a family owned netting outfit in Kingman Arizona that looks like it
might possibly be a starting place to look into some custom manufacture.
http://www.westcoastnetting.com/about.html

Seems like making hand knotted coir net (like cargo net used to be made from
manila rope years ago) would be way too labor intensive to be practical. That
leaves machine made. Maybe start with coir and pave the way for hemp in some
future era of enlightenment. If a reasonably consistent knotted coir net "lath"
could be manufactured it could be tested both as a component and as incorporated
in wall assemblies just as welded steel mesh can. Document some examples of two
or three hundred year old coir fiber in Japanese buildings... Well, just takes
time and money. <grin>

The biggest rub I see is funding such development. How much does a container of
raw coconut fiber cost? (Landed of course.) Or maybe just import the proper size
coir rope and have it made into net. If somebody can be found willing to make
the net. It wouldn't hurt to have a rope engineer help out, eh?