Re: [SB-r-us] Re: GSBN:netting, fibers, geotextiles, etc.

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 09:04 PM, Marcus Hardwick wrote:

> Okay Bill,
> Try this hank of rope on for size: Coir net made similar to cargo net
> - i.e.
> tied at each junction. This would be somewhat like the 2x2 welded
> steel wire
> mesh we currently use with stucco - i.e. not woven but fastened at each
> junction. Determine the knot strength of the coir twine or rope and
> select both
> a rope size and a grid spacing that would yield an appropriate design
> strength.
> Figure out an attachment schedule that wouldn't compromise the
> strength. And so
> on and so fourth.

Sounds like you're the man for the job Marcus.  Me???  I'm just trying
to grow out my bamboo here so I don't have to import it from elsewhere.
  And then there are the all the other things to think about in life,
taking walks, making mescal, building ponds and polishing clay walls.
Shoot, if I had to worry to the extent that I had to manufacture
netting for my building, I think I would just flat out move.  Add to
that the fact that the approaches we seem to get involved with are so
labor intensive and time consuming anyhow, they are not fit for
widespread use.  Bob Bolles reminded me the other day that once I had
told him that I wanted to make sure that the things we did were so much
so that there would be never any danger of someone wanting to hire us
to work for them.  I do however, love suggesting to my friend Bruce
that you guys out there run ropes all over your buildings.  Oh, how I
would love to see that.

> In doing a web search all the coir netting I found (intended for
> erosion
> control) looked to be too fine a mesh and too easily deformed in plane.

hard to say since I don't know what you were looking at but the stuff
from Rolanka Industries that David Bainbridge was talking about is
really stout stuff. And I think that David is right, they just might be
interested in making something up that would be most appropriate to the
desired specs.

>  However
> there is a family owned netting outfit in Kingman Arizona that looks
> like it
> might possibly be a starting place to look into some custom
> manufacture.
> http://www.westcoastnetting.com/about.html

I say check it out.

> Seems like making hand knotted coir net (like cargo net used to be
> made from
> manila rope years ago) would be way too labor intensive to be
> practical. That
> leaves machine made. Maybe start with coir and pave the way for hemp
> in some
> future era of enlightenment. If a reasonably consistent knotted coir
> net "lath"
> could be manufactured it could be tested both as a component and as
> incorporated
> in wall assemblies just as welded steel mesh can. Document some
> examples of two
> or three hundred year old coir fiber in Japanese buildings... Well,
> just takes
> time and money. <grin>

I think that the King ought to fund you to do precisely that instead of
just running a mud mixing brothel up there north of El Cerrito.  Put
that money to good work I say.

B...

Athena & Bill Steen
The Canelo Project