Date: 18 Jan 2003 01:04:59 -0600
From: billc_lists@...
Subject: Availability of archives to the masses?

HI folks,

That rabble-rousing Beel Steen is stirring up the masses again. ;-)

There's been some discussion about the purpose of various lists,
including GSBN.  I include a little of it (including my response)
below.

One question is: can/should we open the archives to view?  I can't
think of anything in particular in any GSBN posts that would be a
problem to "let out" to the greater SB world.

I personally think there's great value in having a separate list. It
is technically possible to have GSBN posts also go to SB-R-Us/Crest,
but my feeling is that if you think your post will have value there,
*you* should be the one to CC it.

The only problem I've seen with two lists is when the discussion
spills over and you get replies on one list that aren't seen on the
other.  And I can only think of one instance of that happening, with
the recent earth plaster/lime discussion.

John Kingsley wrote:

>I would love this.
>
>As I understand it, the GSBN list is invite-only,
>I assume to cut down the chatter from the rift-raft (i.e. people like me).
>Also, as far as I know, the GSBN list doesn't have
>any archives anywhere on the net.
>
>One great thing about the Internet is being able
>to listen to the experts talk - you can learn a lot.
>But with the GSBN list completely closed up this
>is kind of hard.
>
>I think it would be great to somehow connect
>these two lists or if that is not possible (or desirable)
>then at least have the GSBN archived somewhere for us
>mere mortals to read and learn.

Yes, the reason it is invite only is specifically to cut down on the
chatter.  One GSBN list member I ran into at the USGBC conference
recently mentioned how much he liked that list specifically for that
reason.  In fact, when GSBN was started it was in part because the
old timers needed a place where they didn't have to do SB-101 every
couple of weeks, and a number of them had already unsubscribed from
Crest or were just skimming from time to time.

One intent of GSBN was/is to share information between SB groups
around the world.  The original plan was to have 2 reps from each SB
association who could relay questions and answers to and from their
groups.  It's not like it's some secret society - the stuff that's
discussed there is *supposed* to show up where you can read it,
either through TLS (who underwrites the hosting cost) or the general
lists.

There are archives. They are currently passworded, but I don't think
that there's anything in there that needs to be hidden from folks in
this list.

I guess we'll take that up with the GSBN folks and see what they think.

Beel wrote:

>Some of the folks there I sure would also benefit by listening to some
>of the experts on this list.

There's nothing stopping them from signing up here (SB-R-Us).
- --
Bill Christensen
http://sustainablesources.com/contact/

Date: 18 Jan 2003 09:22:40 -0600
From: Mark Piepkorn duckchow@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Availability of archives to the masses?

	I thought Bill C's answer was eloquent, tactful, gentle and appropriate.

	I think the GSBN archives should be public. (I kinda thought they were all
along...)

Date: 18 Jan 2003 13:28:54 -0600
From: Catherine Wanek blackrange@...

At 10:03 AM 1/18/03 -0500, Mark wrote:
>         I thought Bill C's answer was eloquent, tactful, gentle and
> appropriate.
>
>         I think the GSBN archives should be public.

I agree with Bill and Mark.

BTW -- does anyone know if the CREST list is ever coming back?    Will the
Straw-R-Us list be a permanent replacement?   If so, how does one subscribe?

(I'm working on the Resource section of my new SB book and wonder what to
list for this Internet resource.....)

regards,
Catherine

There may be important message content

- --=====================_15416093==_.ALT

<<<<<< See above "Message Body" >>>>>>

- --=====================_15416093==_.ALT

cite>
I thought Bill C's answer was eloquent, tactful, gentle and
appropriate.

<x-tab>        </x-tab>I think
the GSBN archives should be public. </font></blockquote>

- --=====================_15416093==_.ALT--

Date: 18 Jan 2003 17:39:02 -0600
From: billc_lists@...
Subject: Re: SB-R-Us and CREST lists

>BTW -- does anyone know if the CREST list is ever coming back?
>Will the Straw-R-Us list be a permanent replacement?   If so, how
>does one subscribe?

according to Ethan Goldman, listmom of the CREST greenbuilding list,
they're due back up any moment now.

The SB-R-Us discussions about it lately have left the question up in
the air.  Yahoo has some very nice features, including the ability to
upload photos and files, run databases and poll your users, and
apparently a renewed sense of energy (or maybe it's just that it's
winter and everyone's posting more). CREST has 8 or 9 years of
history.  Nobody wants to see it fragment into two separate lists...
it would be very nice if CREST could offer at least some of the
abilities that Yahoo has, such as file and photo sections.  I don't
know who's in charge of asking for that... (he says, ducking to avoid
responsibility).

In the meantime, you can go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/sb-r-us/ and sign up there (choose the
"plain text" option to avoid getting the Yahoo advertisements on
every email), or send an email to SB-r-us-subscribe@...

- --